Pagans and the Internet

  • mandy__moon
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
      MM- I am a a pagan and a Religious Studies scholar from
      Newfoundland. I am curious about what other pagans think are the
      benefits or drawbacks of the internet. Why/how do you, as a pagan,
      use the virtual Web?
      BB, Mandy Moon
    • Nyx Wolfwalker
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
        Greetings,

        Good Q there Mandy, for me the internet has been a way to expand my circle
        of wiccan acquaintances around the world, before the net I was mostly only
        involved with local people that I could meet through the WCC. But now with
        the net I've expanded my circle of ppl I've got contact with, and I've also
        started my own online business and help site.

        Drawbacks, well since the 25th of last month major trouble my server I use
        for my site hosting got hacked, and everything was lost, my elists that I
        maintain where trashed, and I'm having to come my HD for the ppl know I knew
        where part of those lists. For the most part I've had nothing but positive
        results from the net and other pagans that I've meet this way, yes there are
        those who call themselves wiccans but are just pretenders who in a weeks
        time are back to being what they where before they said they where wiccan or
        what have you, but every area has those types of ppl.

        Well just my two cents worth, take care everyone.

        Nyx Wolfwalker
        PathWalkers.Net
        http://www.pathwalkers.net
        ICQ# 4762157
        AIM: Nyxks
        YIM: nyxkswolfwalker
        MSN: Nyxks@...

        Please vote for my site at http://www.pathwalkers.net/votingbooth.html
        Nyx Wolfwalker¹s Journal @ http://www.deadjournal.com/users/nyxks/
      • Jay
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
          Greetings Mandy Moon,

          I would have to say that using the internet has expanded my circle of pagan
          friends and aquantinces to world wide. Locally I have been able to network
          with many people, weather through the local moots or gatherings or even
          gettings groups together to do workings.
          A few years ago, my mate and I, travelled down through the States and met
          some of the Pagans that we had only spoken to online and made lasting
          friendships. We have also found out about many festivals and major
          gatherings (like Pagan Pride day).
          The major benifit though has been my ability to check out other groups ( for
          example Satanists, Thelmics and Choas Magians) and found that they are just
          folk like us. Before the internet I would have had to just rely on roumors,
          prejudges and my own good sense.
          I can honestly say that the internet has enriched my learning (though not my
          spelling LOL) and my immediate circle of friends would not be in my life
          without it.
          Hope that answers your question.

          hugs and snugs
          Jay
          ----- Original Message ----- Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:01:09 -0000

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
            Jay,
            All of the answers so far have been wonderful. I hope to get more
            sampling, although this sampling has its obvious limitations...
            Would you (or anyone) be interested in a longer interview to help my
            study?
            Drop me an email at mandy__moon (that's two underscores) @
            yahoo.com. (I seperated that so it wouldn't be shortened.)
            BB, Mandy Moon