Pagan gab-fest

  • gina_ellis_ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2006
      If you had the chance to meet other Pagans from all across Canada,
      what would you talk about?

      Last year, in Edmonton, the first National Canadian Pagan Conference
      brought together over 100 people from coast to coast. This year
      people in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec
      who attended last year (and some who missed it) are coming all the
      way to Halifax to meet Maritime Pagans in May (19th-22nd, St. Mary's
      U).

      The conference is something new in Canada - actual conferring . . .
      among people who would otherwise never meet. No "experts" offering
      workshops or lectures, just regular grass-roots Pagans talking to
      each other.

      We arrange moderated round-table discussions on whatever subjects YOU
      want to discuss. (Email me if you want to discuss one of the topics
      and/or if you want to see others on the agenda.) So far people have
      asked to talk such subjects as dealing with government agencies,
      schools, etc. (what are our religious righs?). Pagans in the
      professions (why so few?). Operating Pagan businesses. Forming
      official `churches', getting charitable status . . . and maybe some
      solitaries and small-group people would like to talk about why they
      don't see the need for churches. And a repeat feature – the "path"
      panels . . . Wiccans, Asatruar, Druids, etc., talking about their
      scene in different parts of the country.

      Our guest speakers are two Canadian authors whose books
      are deeper than the regular how-to tomes - Shelley Rabinovitch
      with "An It Harm None", about Wiccan morals and ethics, and Brendan
      Myers with "Dangerous Religion", about environmentalism from a Druid
      viewpoint. Lively discussion to follow.

      And there's the academic stream - Canadian Pagan academics giving
      papers on aspects of Paganism in Canada . . . a popular feature last
      year, giving a sense of validation to Paganism as an academic subject
      and to us as a movement.

      Not just a gab-fest – we have a session of singing together and
      exchanging songs & chants. And we'll show three short films - about
      building a wicker-man, Druids in Ontario, and folk magic in the
      Maritimes - with the film-makers attending.

      And there'll be a banquet, a Celtic music night in a Halifax pub, and
      good times after-hours. Opening and closing rits, organized by the
      Halifax crew.

      For more info and for registration forms, go to
      http://www.gaiagathering.ca/

      See you in May!