military chaplains' handbook

  • gina_ellis_ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2004
      Hi people.

      I'm with the Pagan Federation/Federation paienne Canada, and in the
      course of prison visitation we heard that the CSC chaplaincy was
      doing a handbook for institutional chaplains, and Wicca/Paganism
      would be included - we offered to supply info and the offer was taken
      up. We wrote (with some editing/input by the CSC chaplain in charge
      of the project) the Wiccan and (umbrella) Pagan sections, and got
      info from practitioners for the Asatru and Druid sections.

      At one time the military chaplaincy office got in touch with one of
      our directors (a high-profile, Paganly speaking, prof at the
      university of Ottawa) and asked a few questions. (The questions and
      her answers can be seen on the website www.paganpastoraloutreach.ca -
      PPO being the ministerial arm of PFPC.)(The material we supplied for
      the prisons is there too.) Later we heard that the military
      chaplaincy HQ was doing a handbook. We contacted them and offered
      our CSC material or any other help we could offer. We got a somewhat
      curt response to the effect that they had Wiccan info, thank you very
      much, DISMISSED. We were hoping that at some point we might get a
      copy of their handbook, but it seems to be something of a state
      secret.

      OKAY, bear with me, I'm getting to the point.

      Yesterday I was at an event put on by the Ontario Multifaith Council
      (PFPC/PPO is a member), to which they/we invited a number of people,
      including the chaplain general (or whatever the title is). He didn't
      come, but somebody came representing him. Damn, I have forgotten the
      name - Dave Moore, maybe - let alone his title. But I managed to get
      a few minutes with him. He said there was a chaplaincy handbook, but
      it merely concerned itself with Policy & Procedures and had nothing
      about various religions in it. He said that would be impossible -
      there's so many. I said, well, gee, there aren't new ones popping up
      every day - oh yes there are, said he. Seems to me that if the
      prisons (and outfits like the Multifaith Council) can produce manuals
      covering most of the religions their people are likely to run into,
      the Forces could manage it (and these handbooks can always be
      updated, no?) But anyway, I was again DISMISSED.

      Owell. But I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Forces
      chaplains' handbook... You Wiccans should be interested, if not
      concerned, about what's in it about Wicca (or if there IS anything...)