Fwd: What do you think about these things?

  • macanfitheach
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 9:54 PM
      MM all.

      I was getting rather weary of checking in and seeing the group so
      dead so I thought I'd try and drum up some conversation. The
      following text was posted to another group that I'm a member of
      (Ottawa Pagans Online) so I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone
      is still out there... :-)

      Feel free to post your thoughts; my repsonse to this thread will
      follow.

      Cheers and BB,

      Ted

      From: "wintersknight_2000" <c_p_u@c...>
      Date: Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:08 pm

      22 Witch's personal standards of spirituality

      1. An ye harm none, do as ye will.

      2. If you know the Rede is being broken, you must work strongly
      against it.

      3. Watch, listen, and withhold judgement; in debate let your
      silences be long, your thoughts clear, and your words carefully
      chosen.

      4. Never boast, or threaten, or speak evil of anyone.

      5. Be truthful always, save when speaking would lead to a great
      harm.

      6. Keep clean your body, your clothes, and your house.

      7. Should you take a task upon yourself, work hard and well to
      accomplish it properly and in good time. Always do the best you can.

      8. Do not haggle over the price of your ritual tools.

      9. Witches know that there no absolute truths.

      10. Witches understand that the universe consist of perfect balance;
      therefore, everything has an opposite.

      11. Witches realize that for every action there is a reaction. (The
      Law of Three)

      12. Witches know that we are all one; we are all connected.

      13. Never lie to yourself for this is the ultimate act of deceit.

      14. Witches understand that the ultimate act of spirituality is the
      act of positive creation through love.

      15. Witches realize that the energy created through worship and
      rituals manifests as a circular stream of positive energy

      16. Witches should never close their minds to knowledge.

      17. Never practice a magickal system that you don't fully
      understand.

      18. Do not set a price on your magickal work.

      19. A witch uses the magickal circle as a physical and non-physical
      representation of a temple on the earth plane.

      20. Witches use the energies around them to assist in raising power.

      21. Witches use common sense and do not share their mysteries with
      fools.

      22. A Witch who knowingly breaks the Law (Ordains) will not be
      permitted to incarnate on Earth again.
    • macanfitheach
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 9:59 PM
        Text as posted in Ottawa Pagans Online:

        Date: Thu Aug 1, 2002 3:31 am
        Subject: Re: What do you think about these things?

        I would have replied earlier, but I had to save my reply earlier
        today as I had to prepare for work. The composition is now complete,
        so here's my two cents:

        >22 Witch's personal standards of spirituality

        >1. An ye harm none, do as ye will.

        Certainly I good way to go about one's life and affairs. Do I strive
        for this? Yes, absolutely; there's enough grief and pain in the world
        without adding to it. I would note, however, it is not always
        possible. As a soldier, I accept this. I take the Rede as per the
        definition of Rede, that is to say, advice or counsel on how to
        conduct oneself...

        >2. If you know the Rede is being broken, you must work strongly
        >against it.

        No. People have to learn from their mistakes. However, if I knew that
        someone was intentionally harming someone out of sheer spite, I may
        be moved to assist out of compassion. I am a civilized human being,
        after all...

        >3. Watch, listen, and withhold judgement; in debate let your
        >silences be long, your thoughts clear, and your words carefully
        >chosen.

        Absolutely, though I must admit that it is sometimes difficult to do.

        >4. Never boast, or threaten, or speak evil of anyone.

        Absolutely, though I must admit that it is sometimes difficult to do.

        >5. Be truthful always, save when speaking would lead to a great
        >harm.

        Absolutely, though I must admit that it is sometimes difficult to do.

        >6. Keep clean your body, your clothes, and your house.

        Ehhr, well, I don't see what this would have to do with religion;
        it's more of a hygiene thing if you ask me.

        >7. Should you take a task upon yourself, work hard and well to
        >accomplish it properly and in good time. Always do the best you can.

        At the risk of sounding repetitive, Absolutely. Though I must admit
        that it is sometimes difficult to do.

        >8. Do not haggle over the price of your ritual tools.

        Well, being of Scottish descent, I'll haggle, thank you. Wha's this?
        The bloke won't 'aggle! Come on then - five for that, you must be
        mad..." :-) Ehhr, apologies for the geeky Python reference... :-)

        >9. Witches know that there no absolute truths.

        They should, but this is not always the case. Personally, I do.

        >10. Witches understand that the universe consist of perfect balance;
        >therefore, everything has an opposite.

        They should, but this is not always the case. Personally, I do.

        >11. Witches realize that for every action there is a reaction. (The
        >Law of Three)

        Equal and opposite reaction, perhaps. I personally don't believe in
        the power of three, being an intellectual sort and the physical laws
        of the universe being what they are. Mind you, I think it may make a
        good premise for a TV show. Wait, that's been done... :-)

        >12. Witches know that we are all one; we are all connected.

        They should, but this is not always the case. Personally, I do. And
        I do not repeat myself. I just stammer... :-)

        >13. Never lie to yourself for this is the ultimate act of deceit.

        Absolutely.

        >14. Witches understand that the ultimate act of spirituality is the
        >act of positive creation through love.

        They should, but this is not always the case. Personally, I do.

        >15. Witches realize that the energy created through worship and
        >rituals manifests as a circular stream of positive energy.

        Not necessarily positive; it depends on what is trying to be
        accomplished.

        >16. Witches should never close their minds to knowledge.

        They should, but this is not always the case. Personally, I do.

        >17. Never practice a magickal system that you don't fully
        >understand.

        Absolutely, unless of course, you're willing to accept the
        consequences. I'm not.

        >18. Do not set a price on your magickal work.

        I have helped people in the past, and it never entered into my mind
        to ask them for something in return. However, our ancient
        predecessors didn't survive on air alone; I therefore don't see
        anything wrong with fair payment for services rendered.

        >19. A witch uses the magickal circle as a physical and non-physical
        >representation of a temple on the earth plane.

        Absolutely.

        >20. Witches use the energies around them to assist in raising power.

        Absolutely.

        >21. Witches use common sense and do not share their mysteries with
        fools.

        Common dog is an elusive beast; to paraphrase Zappa "Hydrogen is not
        the basic building block of the Universe; there is much more
        stupidity about than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block
        of the Universe.". :-) Common dog is also relative to the
        individual, as is the perception of who would qualify as a fool. In
        light of both being left to individual interpretation, I really can't
        agree with this.

        >22. A Witch who knowingly breaks the Law (Ordains) will not be
        >permitted to incarnate on Earth again.

        No, absolutely not; I think that's bullpucky. This concept, to me,
        just doesn't make sense; we all have free will and the ability to
        exercise choices for better or worse and some of these choices will
        be mistakes. Going back to a previous comment, everyone makes
        mistakes; it's just an irrevocable part of life. If we don't get it
        right the first time around, we should be able to get another kick at
        the proverbial cat.