Wonder Girl - Crimebase! Part 1

  • Andrea
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2013
      Wow...has it been a year or so since my last story? Then we're long overdue for another, feeding off the idea of Diana and Drusilla coming to the aid of another dynamic heroine duo - Electra Woman & Dyna Girl. If you're not familiar with those two - the internet is broad and vast, and you owe it to yourself to find out more if you're any fan of heroines, campy fun, and sexy spandex!

      CrimeBase

      Glitter Rock and his sidekick, Roadie, leaned back in their chairs as they took in the opulent, if somewhat archaic, Egyptian-themed decor of the room. "Swingin' pad you got here, Pharaoh-baby!" he finally said.

      "It is not a pad," their host, decked out in full Egyptian costume, responded, "but a complete recreation of the meeting room of the great Ramses, one-time Pharaoh and ruler of all the known world!"

      "And soon," his partner, Nefertiti, cut in, "shall his reincarnation, The Pharaoh, be the ruler of the entire world!"

      The Pharaoh smiled at her. "Thank you, my wife...and it shall be done. I shall indeed rule this world, completing that which my forefathers could not."

      "All well and good," the Spider-Lady nodded appreciatively, "but Ali Baba and I want to know why you've contacted us. All of us." She gestured around the room.

      "Yes," Ali Baba chimed in, "what role do we play? And what's our interest in it?"

      "You shall all be rewarded as princes and princesses," he nodded to the Spider-Lady. "You shall know riches and power beyond your wildest dreams. Indeed, the first stages of our bid to conquer have been enacted thanks to my partner-in-crime. Sorcerer?"

      The gray-haired mystic appeared through a puff of smoke. "You summoned me, my master?"

      "Indeed. Show this throng of villains our first great victory in the war to take over this tawdry blue bauble called Earth!"

      The Sorcerer nodded and with a snap of his fingers two sarcophagi appeared behind him. With a wave of his hand the Pharaoh bid him to open them. Inside were two bodies, tightly wrapped in burial cloths, stiff as statues. A slight bulge on the left arm of each was noticeable, and two tiny brown tufts of hair stuck out from the sides of the head of the shorter body.

      "My word, is that..." the Spider-Lady said. "Is that?"

      "No way!" Glitter Rock whispered, a slow smile coming to his lips. "You...you killed...?"

      "Killed?" the Pharaoh smiled. "No. Mummified. They're quite alive, and shall remain so until their natural lifespan is spent. They can hear us even now...can't you ladies?" he called to them. Neither mummy moved.

      "Kill them now!" Ali Baba barked. "We can be forever rid of those two do-gooders!"

      "How did you do it, Pharaoh?" Spider-Lady demanded. "Nobody's been able to get the better of those two!"

      "A secret weapon," the Sorcerer responded. "With my Pharaoh's permission?"

      The Pharaoh nodded, and with a clap of his hands the Sorcerer summoned his own partner...white-skinned and clad in a long black dress, there was no mistaking who it was, even if you didn't notice the cracked seam running across her face. At one glance every villain except the Pharaoh was on their feet.

      "Are you insane?" Ali Baba finally spurted. "The Empress of Evil?"

      "Impossible!" the Spider-Lady hissed. "She was destroyed!"

      "What was destroyed can be easily repaired, Spider-Lady," the Pharaoh smiled. "Particularly in the hands of a skilled magic-user like the Sorcerer."

      "My thanks, great Pharaoh," the Sorcerer nodded. "You see, the Empress was little more than a magic amplifier. With the right person calling the shots, she was easily one of the deadliest foes those Electra-twits ever faced. With me calling the shots, she became THE deadliest foe they ever faced."

      The Empress' eyes seemed unfocused on any one person or part of the room. Her movements were stiff and mechanical as she awkwardly stood by the Sorcerer's side. "Kill....lectra...kill dy....girl..." she said in a voice struggling between feminine grace and robotic monotony.

      "It was a simple matter to immobilize them, drain them of their life force enough to make them little more than living statues, and turn them over to the Pharaoh for...embalming, shall we call it?"

      "Of a sort," the Pharaoh nodded with a grin. "So you see...the die has been cast. This city can now be ours. We have removed our largest obstacle...Electra Woman and Dyna Girl. They shall serve as living witnesses to our success and their failure. Two trophies to stand as testament to my greatest triumph!"

      "I still don't see where we come in," Spider-Lady frowned as she re-took her seat.

      "It's simple," Nefertiti spoke up, "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl are only two heroes, but they aren't the only two heroes. More are sure to show up. We need an army to stand against them. You will all help comprise that army!"

      "Until we can locate their secret crimebase," the Pharaoh noted, "we can count on more heroes showing up to avenge the loss of two of their own. We must work in unison to send a strong message to these heroes that they will join the Electra-dimwits in their fate if they attempt to stop us."

      "Gee boss," Roadie leaned over to Glitter Rock. "Who do you think is crazy enough to show up here?"

      * * * *

      "This is absolutely crazy," Drusilla pouted. "I could be in Themiscyra right now, soaking up the sun and celebrating the Sapphic festival with my sisters. And so could you, I might add!"

      Diana smiled. Her sister's protestations aside, she knew that Drusilla loved being here, soaking up American culture and celebrating the latest Hollywood premieres as much as any festival back home. When she pointed that out to her, it only made her sulk even more.

      "What are we even doing here?" she gestured out the car window to the outlying cityscape. "This isn't our turf!"

      "The world is our turf, Dru," Diana said, "and we're here because Frank is an old friend, and he needs our help. More to the point, it looks like he needs Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl's help."

      That perked her up. Any chance to don their satin tights and fight crime always put more of a spring in her step. "Really?" she chirped. "That's great! Let's get going then!"

      "Calm down," Diana chided. We'll be there in just under a half hour."

      "We should have taken the jet, if it's that important!" Dru countered. Diana laughed.

      "The jet might get a little too much attention. Better to come into town unheralded and unnoticed as Diana and Drusilla Prince."

      "I suppose," Dru slumped back down in her seat. "I never get to fly in the jet."

      Diana smiled as she shook her head at her sister. "When all this is done, I'll take you up in the jet, I promise. We'll fly back to Themiscyra and visit all our sisters."

      * * * *

      "Diana," Frank Heflin said as he embraced her in a warm hug. "It's been entirely too long."

      "Professor," Diana returned the embrace. Stepping back she introduced Drusilla, who put her hand out and shook his warmly, echoing Diana's greeting by referring to his title.

      "Ladies, no," he put up a hand. "I'm Frank...to both of you. But come in! Come in. We've little time to waste on pleasantries, unfortunately."

      They followed him through what appeared to be little more than a standard suburban home, but the further back they went the more desks and couches were replaced by computer banks and a narrow elevator that barely fit the three of them. Stepping in they were quickly lowered into the belly of a massive facility banked by rows of computers and complex machinery.

      "Diana, Drusilla...welcome to Crimebase!" Frank gestured.

      "Wow," Drusilla marveled. "We need something like this! It's no Batcave, but still..."

      "Oh you've worked with the Batman?" Frank asked.

      "Once or twice," Diana interrupted. "His lair is a bit more...dark...than what you have, Frank."

      Frank nodded. "Let me come right to the point. I'm assuming you both have heard of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl."

      "Who?" Dru blurted out, and got a swift kick in the shins from Diana for it.

      "Of course I have, Frank. They're your partners in crimefighting. Your 'legs' so to speak. My sister here still has a lot of learning to do when it comes to her peers and colleagues in the pursuit of justice." She frowned at Drusilla.

      "Okay...okay..." Dru shot an angry look back. "So when do we meet this Electric Woman?"

      "Electra-Woman," Frank responded. "And you don't...unless you can help me find them."

      "They've disappeared?"  Diana stepped forward.

      Frank's face couldn't mask his grim concern. "About three days back. Normally they'd contact me on their ElectraComps if they're going to be gone for more than two - "

      "Electra whats?" Dru asked.

      "ElectraComps," Frank said plainly and pulled a small device off a nearby table. "Short for Electra Computer. They wore them on their wrists and it allowed me to monitor them, supply them with power...all sorts of things. However, they have a limited power supply and when it's gone, I lose track of them. The signal disappeared three days ago, as I said."

      "So...these two woman have no actual super-powers?" Dru arched an eyebrow. This Professor had to be crazy to send in two completely normal women into a crime zone.

      "Well, the ElectraComps give them powers," Frank pointed out. Putting one on his own wrist he clicked a few buttons and was soon levitating above them. He also demonstrated a short wave laser beam, then floated back down to them. "I've made one for each of you, in anticipation of your arrival. That way I can assist you in - "

      "Diana," Dru gritted her teeth, uncertain of how to respond.

      "Professor," Diana smiled. "We appreciate the offer, but truthfully, those devices would only get in our way. You've seen how I operate...bullets and bracelets, remember?"

      Frank nodded. "Of course...of course...silly of me. Promise me this, though...put these on." He produced two small rings. "Let me put these on you and I'll be able to at least communicate with you and monitor your vital signs."

      Dru stepped back as Frank moved forward. Seeing the professor's questioning look, Diana put her hand out. "My sister's overreaction notwithstanding, we Amazons can't let any male put a binding element on us, even something as small as a ring. It robs us of our powers. I'll put one on her, and she can put one on me."

      "Interesting," Frank noted. "I never realized such a situation existed."

      "We don't exactly make it public knowledge, Professor," Dru responded as Diana placed the ring on her finger. She in turn put the other ring on Diana's. A quick test of the diagnostics and Frank was satisfied. They would at least be able to communicate back and forth as they conducted their search.

      "Okay," Dru finally said. "Where do we begin?"

      "Fortunately, we have several leads," Frank said. "Most of their main gallery of villains are currently at large. I would recommend starting with Glitter Rock."

      "Glitter Rock?" Dru arched an eyebrow. "You have to be kidding me!"

      "He's no joke, Drusilla," Frank warned. "He's a master of sonic frequencies. He can use them to control your body and make it work against you. Somehow he managed to make parole and is resuming his civilian duties as a local record producer at his downtown studio."

      "Okay then," Dru got ready to twirl into her Wonder Girl outfit, but Diana put up a hand.

      "I think maybe it might be better if the Prince sisters paid Mr. Rock a visit, Drusilla," she said. "At least to try and find out some possible clues."

      Dru frowned. She wanted to just go, break some heads, and move on to solving this caper, but her sister usually had the right idea. "Okay," she frowned. "I guess we'll go back to the car."

      * * * *

      "Ladies," Glitter Rock said. "Please...step inside."

      Diana and Dru walked into the dark studio area. Bays of audio equipment and amplifiers surrounded them, amid an array of musical instruments.

      "Wow," Dru tried to feign awe, but in truth, this place had nothing on the open air atriums and conservatories of Paradise Island.

      "We don't get many walk-in visitors," Glitter Rock noted. "So I must say your arrival has caught us in-between sessions."

      "Well, my sister and I do appreciate your time...do I call you Mr. Rock?" Diana put on her best charm to keep the villain and his partner off their guard.

      "During business hours I go by Glitter Rock," he smiled. "Perhaps tonight we might meet...after hours, though!"

      'Ugh,' Dru thought. 'Could he be any sleazier?'

      "I'm free too," his partner noted. "Maybe we could...say...double date it?"

      "I...uhh....Diana?" Dru wasn't sure how to proceed.

      "My sister and I are on a very tight schedule, but we might have use of your facilities..."

      Glitter Rock looked at his assistant who returned it with a knowing nod. "Of course," he responded. "Do you sing? Play an instrument?"

      Dru looked incredulously at her sister when she said they were both singers. Amazons could do many things, and some of their musicians had the finest voices on the planet. Unfortunately, Dru's strengths lay elsewhere, and Diana knew it.

      "Excellent," Glitter Rock smiled. "Tell you what. We're all set up for a recording session later on today. Why don't you help us test the mikes?" He gestured to two microphones side by side. Two pairs of headphones rested on the floor in front of them. "It'll give us an idea of whether or not our humble studio will suit your needs."

      "Very well," Diana agreed. Glitter rock made a few adjustments to their microphone stands and soon the pair were shut inside the main studio. Through a glass partition they could see Glitter Rock and his assistant behind a table of mixers and recording equipment. He motioned for them to put the headsets on. Dru shot her sister a quick You know this is a trap look, and Diana returned the look with a confident look that said she knew but they could beat anything someone named Glitter Rock could throw at them.

      "Okay, ladies, if you'll give us a scale in C," Glitter Rock said through the intercom. Diana's voice was much more sonorous than Dru's but Dru held back to let her sister take the forefront, hoping they wouldn't notice.

      "Nice," Glitter Rock responded. "Now, let's talk about what you want to sing. Are you into rock? Country?"

      "Mostly we sing European folk," Diana spoke into the microphone. Glitter Rock seemed perplexed.

      "Not much of a market for that," he said. "You sure we're the right studio for you two?"

      "We were told your services were Electra-riffic," Diana said, removing the headphones.

      Dru caught the hint. "Yeah," she said, removing hers. "You supposedly have the best Dyna-mics of any studio out there!"

      They both saw Glitter Rock nodding grimly behind the mixer. "Okay, ladies," he said through the com. "You got me. But to be honest? I got you first."

      Before either girl could react he twisted a dial and both of them were suddenly buffeted by a barrage of sound waves, crushing them into each other and knocking them clumsily to the floor.

      "Like that?" Glitter Rock said after turning the sound down. "Wait'll you hear what comes out of those ceiling amps!" So saying, he turned another dial and a low, humming noise blared down from the ceiling, pinning both of them to the floor.

      "Diana...I....nnnghh....I can't move!" Dru grunted. Her sister was struggling as well, but the sound, while not deafening, had a definite force to it, and it was preventing them from going anywhere.

      "Nice, isn't it?" Glitter Rock's voice came over the speaker. "In seconds your bodies will both be attuned to this frequency, and as I control the frequency from in here...I'll control both of you! In fact you should be....completely controlled....right about...now! Now on your feet, ladies!"

      Dru felt her body disobey her and begin to rise, and she could only watch in horror as her sister did the same next to her. Soon they both stood side by side in front of the glass partition.

      "So...who are you two...really? Should I spin you two like a record and find out?" Glitter Rock laughed through the microphone. Suddenly both amazons began to twirl, and two blinding flashes of light later the star-spangled red, blue and gold attired Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl stood before him. "I had a feeling they'd send the amazon bimbo-patrol!" he sneered.

      "Okay," Wonder Woman growled. "You can't hold us forever like this!"

      "Yeah," Wonder Girl snarled. "And when we get free you're going to be playing a new tune...back in prison!"

      "Defiant to the end, aren't they?" Glitter Rock said to Roadie. "Because it is the end, for both of you!"

      "What do you mean?" Wonder Woman demanded.

      "Surely you amazons are familiar with the infamous 'Brown Note'? Well, after much research and a few assassinations, I've been able to obtain it!"

      "W-wonder Woman...what's the Brown Note?" Dru cast a sidelong look at her sister, unable to actually move her head.

      "It's a legendary frequency that, when played, causes a listener to lose control of their bodily functions," Diana frowned. "Disgusting, but not fatal...I'm not sure what he...unless...no!"

      "Figured it out yet, Wonder Woman?" Glitter Rock cackled. "I was able to take it one step further and learn the fabled BLACK NOTE!!! Here, have a sample! It's all you'll need to hear!"

      "Hera, No!" Diana exclaimed. "Dru cover yo-" was all she could blurt out before the tone permeated their ears. Dru saw her sister begin to fall to the floor before her vision went black and all awareness left her. She crumpled limply to the floor, next to her sister. Unmoving. Unbreathing.

      * * *

      Back at crimebase, two monitors went flatline on Frank's computer.

      "Oh my God!" Frank shouted. "Wonder Woman! Wonder Girl!"

      * * *

      "Wow, boss," Roadie said as they stood over the two lifeless bodies. "You really killed them!"

      "Y'know, I wasn't sure that would work," he said plainly. "Particularly on an amazon."

      "Well, they might be overrated, y'know," his henchman pointed out.

      "So it would seem. Well, we can let the Pharaoh know there'll be no further trouble out of these two."

      "Pity, though," Roadie said. "You could have at least let us have some fun with them first."

      * * *

      Are Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl's adventures through before they've even begun?

      Are they really new residents on Mt. Olympus now?

      Who will stop the Pharaoh's evil scheme now?

      Answers - next installment - if there's anyone left alive to be in it!

    • camping_out_with_wonder_girl-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2013
        Electra-fantabulous! What a phenomenal epic you're treating us to... How much fun was it to re-visit the classic EW&DG baddies, all beautifully in character, all working together as an anti-justice team for the very first time. And how precious were those hapless Electra-mummies... particularly the smaller one with the brown hair sticking out! Best of all, the notion of straight arrow Wonder Woman and feisty Wonder Girl aka the "Amazon bimbo squad" facing off against these delightfully wicked wizards is too exciting to contemplate. Part 2, Andrea, please! And thanks so much for remembering this WG site, and providing the kind of imaginative, stylish and thoroughly enjoyable tales you write so well. Best, TZ

        --- In camping_out_with_wonder_girl@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea" <akakramer88@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > * * *
        > "Wow, boss," Roadie said as they stood over the two lifeless bodies.
        > "You really killed them!"
        > "Y'know, I wasn't sure that would work," he said plainly. "Particularly
        > on an amazon."
        > "Well, they might be overrated, y'know," his henchman pointed out.
        > "So it would seem. Well, we can let the Pharaoh know there'll be no
        > further trouble out of these two."
        > "Pity, though," Roadie said. "You could have at least let us have some
        > fun with them first."
        > * * *
        > Are Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl's adventures through before they've
        > even begun?
        > Are they really new residents on Mt. Olympus now?
        > Who will stop the Pharaoh's evil scheme now?
        > Answers - next installment - if there's anyone left alive to be in it!

      • John S
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2013
          Very nice...thank you.