Re: Wonder Girl - Girl Wonder Part 10

  • Dale
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20 5:00 AM
      I came to this group by keying the phrase "Alvino Ray Gun" and the word "heroine" into Google. I ignored the Part 8 post up to the point of the Alvino Ray Gun. Upon reading the invite I started writing my replacement text, then decided to read the entire story to make my text consistent with the story to this point. My conclusion is that I have major problems with making my text consistent with prior parts of the story. In particular, I have a problem making the Alvino Ray Gun consistent with death traps.

      To me there are two types of villains, those who have no problems with killing, and those who do have problems with killing. I prefer the later, and always considered the Alvino Ray Gun to be the device of the later. Flattening eliminates the obstacle without killing. Indeed, in the absence of laws against flattening, the villain could not even be convicted of a crime.

      I'm not sure if I understand camp, so forgive me if what I write doesn't fall in the genre of camp. I'm also more into gags than traps, which is why I prefer writing Rubber Maid stories, such as Rubber Hotel Maid, Riding Lessons, Bolo Boobs, and Rubber Sitter. My idea of a trap is more along the lines of pranks than truly sinister traps. Of course mind games can be interesting, especially ones that play upon a victim's vanity, such as challenging an aspiring escape artist (or a heroine with excessive pride in her escape abilities) to escape severe bondage.

      Such perils as the dynamic trio being flattened, the United Nations representatives being dehydrated (the original Batman movie} and people being turned to living statues by The Artiste have always appealed to me because they are nonlethal transformations. The Artiste represents two scenarios in which a villain without a problem
      with killing might use a nonlethal device on a hero/heroine. The first being that the device is used to commit the crime, in this case by getting henchmen into art exhibits, and the second being using it to "collect" heroes/heroines.

      http://echoarty.deviantart.com/gallery/37985219

      I suppose my ideal villain would be one that used a device that "rubberized" Wonder Girl and other heroines. My version of the final part of Wonder Girl - Girl Wonder would have Miss Clavicle "rubberizing" Dru and Rachel so they would become elastic slaves that she could use as anything from maids to furniture. Of course, this doesn't fit into the group theme of classic traps.

      Still, I like to imagine Bruce Wayne sitting in a Dru chair and his companion Selina Kyle sitting on the Rachel chair during their visit with Miss Clavicle. And perhaps by then Clavicle would have added Diana to her staff and be using Diana as her own chair.

      Debra Winger will always be Drusilla to me, especially after An Officer and a Gentleman, and Linda Carter as Wonder Woman, especially since I corresponded with Mike Frankovich who married Linda Carter's dance double from the series. I would like Summer Glau as Rachel, and Christina Ricci as Catwoman. As for Miss Clavicle, I picture Jennifer Aniston in this part or Kathie Lee Gifford as Cassandra, and perhaps Pink as Violet. As for Batman, I think Michael Keaton is the best choice.

      Oh well, I can keep with the theme of classic traps by writing a couple of Alvino Ray stories independent of the Wonder Girl - Girl Wonder series. Of course I do like the idea of including Robyn.

      As for the "death" scenarios I mentioned, the toilet paper idea was just what I thought one of the students would suggest, not something I would choose to be an actual fate, but maybe the others can be worked into a story.

      Dale LaRoy Splitstone

    • camping_out_with_wonder_girl-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 20 10:20 AM
        Fascinating peril parameters, Dale. Yes, I certainly agree that humiliation and mocking immobilizations are more fun than killing a heroine, and the more outrageously absurd the better. Sitting in a chair that is actually a transformed Wonder Girl, who is still conscious in this incarnation? Priceless. "You'll pay for this! When I get outta this jam, my fist is gonna have a date with your face!" Dru might be thinking, as a gloating villain reclines comfortably and downs a drink. The WG chair would be a combination of red fabric spangled with white sewn-on stars, blue and gold sections, and caucasian skin color. Three-dimensional statufication is also an entertaining non-lethal peril, as is Alvino flattening... just loved the Deviant Art story you provided a link for. Which begs an amusing question: which is preferable, fans... a fists-on-hips superheroine turned into a statue with a big haughty smile on her face, which fully captures her arrogant over-confidence, or a slightly stunned and semi-stupid facial expression at the moment of defeat, such as the one Yvonne Craig's Batgirl wears? Both approaches certainly have their charms. Thanks again, Dale, and feel free to keep the fun conversation going! TZ101

> [...]
        > >
        > > --- In camping_out_with_wonder_girl@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <dalelaroy@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Why only two options? "Dunking her in water and wadding her up in a ball and tossing her in the garbage" creative? What about shredding her, soaking her strips in plaster, and making a pinata out of her. Or perhaps affixing her to a cardboard backing and cutting her up into a jigsaw puzzle. And of course, they could upgrade her target status to firearms target. Each gang member gets to unload one AR15 100 round drum at her. Or, assuming she could be softened up with fabric softener, perhaps cutting her into strips to use as toilet paper. I would have liked to have seen a heated debate with at least a half dozen options discussed.

      • Andrea
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 21 8:08 AM
          First off, Dale, welcome to the group.
          Second, I'm anxious to see where you'd put poor Dru and Robyn into peril...I haven't had time to contribute much lately. We need all the stories we can get! Don't feel you have to stick with just the Bat-traps that have been done...that's more just me. Those cliffhanger endings just always "awoke" something inside me. ;)
          Third, if you're going to statu-fy a heroine, I'd want mine in the overly confident smiling pose. You're going to put them on display, after all, so you'd want your guests to remark on what a wonderful job the artist did capturing the heroine's heroism - never know that it was the real thing staring back at them the whole time.

          I've toyed with the idea of Dru and Robyn being turned into Realdolls by the Toymaster. Their skin becoming rubbery, their faces becoming more doll-like, and unable to move unless an outside force moves them. Of course unable to talk, yet they feel everything that's being done to them.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 21 2:31 PM
            I actually like "death-traps" as cliff hangers. One of my favorite is the surfboard death-trap. Although this was more of a disposal means than a trap, since the capture had already occurred. I just prefer non-lethal traps/disposal scenarios.

            I find it interesting that you state it is not necessary to stick with Bat-traps when the focus of the group is Wonder Girl, who was never in the Batman series. At the very least traps from television series Batman, Wonder Woman, Black Scorpion, The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, all the Clark Kent series, such as Lois and Clark, and the animated DC television series should be acceptable. The question is, how far should a writer stray from these classics? I would imagine any trap/disposal method that is in the genre of camp would be permissible, whether classic or not, would fit in the theme of the group. But, as I have stated, I don't understand camp.

            --- In camping_out_with_wonder_girl@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea" <akakramer88@...> wrote:

            > First off, Dale, welcome to the group.
            > Second, I'm anxious to see where you'd put poor Dru and Robyn into peril...I haven't had time to contribute much lately. We need all the stories we can get! Don't feel you have to stick with just the Bat-traps that have been done...that's more just me. Those cliffhanger endings just always "awoke" something inside me. ;)

            I agree that if the objective of collection is displaying the hero/heroine to the public, not only would the villain want to capture them in their best heroic pose, which for Supergirl might be flying, but also smiling, or with a stern expression on their face or perhaps even laughing. A look of surprise or stupification, would not only ruin the artistic merits of the display, but also risk raising suspicions.

            If however the objective is to build a private collection, which is what I would expect a villain like the Huntress to do, other expressions, like surprise, stupifaction, humiliation, or ecstasy, might be preferable.

            And of course, if the objective is using them as anonymous display mannequins or standees, a blank expression might be preferable.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 21 2:48 PM
              Not quite as good, but you might also like:

              http://richvilliano.deviantart.com/gallery/40230469

              BTW, I answered your query about expression in my response to Andrea.

              Dale LaRoy Splitstone

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 21 3:31 PM
                The '60s BATMAN TV show should be considered Ground Zero for the tone/stylistic flavoring we're going for in these Wonder Girl peril scenarios, even though WG (Debra Winger) and WW (Lynda Carter) came along a decade later, when cliffhangers were less plentiful. In essence, we're spoofing the superheroine character's ZAP! POW! BAM! overconfidence and innocence, the "wacky" nature of the capture/punishments putting a spotlight on Wonder Girl's over-the-top attributes, such as an absurdly colorful costume and mostly-on-display voluptuous body. Frankly, I'd like to stick with WG and WW for most of our original stories, but with the '60s peril flavoring we've been talking about. And Dale, for our purposes I guess "camp" means "so extremely absurd it's funny"... like transforming a voluptuous, overly-confident superheroine into a pinata. As you so perceptively observe, these punishments come in the form of wicked "pranks," making them funny and more humiliating than sadistically painful. After all, isn't it more entertaining to temporarily immobilize and mock a haughty heroine than to kill her off? Think of the endless re-match possibilities! TZ

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25 4:32 PM
                  The home page of the group pretty much spells it out - what if we were to put Dru in situations as seen in shows like Batman or The Man from Uncle, etc. The floor's wide open, though...hence the "don't feel limited" by those shows. They're just what float *my* boat, so to speak. I'd really love to see some Black Scorpion stuff in here...maybe a team-up? How would Dru handle a "partner" all into heavy leather and darkness?

                  I generally keep to a couple rules as far as what "camp" entails - make it fun, funny, sexy, whatever - but in the end the good guys don't die or get mangled or disfigured or anything horrifying. No snuff. It's not exciting (at least not to me) to read about Dru getting killed or losing a limb. It is exciting to me to have her knocked out in front of a vending machine she's shackled to, or hit by the dreaded Alvino Ray gun, etc....knowing she'll get out of it somehow by the time the story ends.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25 4:40 PM

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 26 1:58 AM
                      Thanks for the heads up. I forgot to mention Electra Woman and Dyna Girl. Although I like Black Scorpion better, if I now understand camp, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl is campier. Of course, you have to go non-live action to match the campiness of Batman. The Perils of Penelope Pitstop might do, and the Electra Woman and Dyna Girl inspired comic book series Spandex Tights, the Adventures of the Aerobic Duo would definitely do.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 26 9:47 AM
                        Hope you enjoy the Black Scorpion club, Dale! Again, anything where the goody two-shoes superheroine is goofed on via outrageous peril scenarios pretty much captures the essence of what we're going for here. ElectraWoman and DynaGirl are excellent examples, and the Spandex Tights take-off was just wonderful. Black Scorpion might be darker and tougher as a character, but she's so in the Batman mold that a campy treatment was inevitable. Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl are ideal, of course, because of their Amazon purity and slightly dorky dedication to duty. All I can say is, have fun with the rampant possibilities, fans! TZ101

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2013
                          Funny you mention Electra Woman & Dyna Girl - I was thinking my next fanfic might involve some of their perils hitting WW & WG in the place of Lori & Judy. There were some good ones -

                          - Solaris, an untouchable energy beast that knocked the spandex duo out cold.
                          - The Empress of Evil pulling them both apart in a magical stretching spell
                          - Glitter Rock's hypnotic guitar
                          - Spider Lady replacing Diana and having poor Dru as her partner.
                          - And of course, the eventual turning Wonder Girl evil (complete with black lipstick!) :)

                          Some fun possibilities in there, for sure!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3, 2013
                            Fun, indeed. The "evil" Dru sounds great (it was certainly an opportunity for Judy Strangis to have a ball chewing up the scenery), and Glitter Rock turning the Amazon Duo into hypnotized puppets offers endless entertainment possibilities. Carry on, Andrea! Best, TZ101