Re: [campernicholson] Nexus Instruments

  • Jteipen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2000
      Jack & Chris

      Just a comment on the depth meter, I think the variations that you see when
      powerboats pass nearby might common to all units. The depth meter is sending
      a signal down and is reading the reflection of the signal off the bottom.
      Any extraneous sound wave passing through the water can interfer with this
      signal.

      We have the B&G Network instruments. I haven't seen a problem when
      powerboats pass by but a couple of summers ago, we were mystified as to why
      the depth meter would sometimes zero out when we were sailing in the area of
      our marina on the northern part of San Francisco Bay. There was a dredging
      operation going on in the channel that summer and what we finally figured out
      was that every time the operator dropped the dredge shovel into the water,
      the depth meter would go to zero for a few seconds. This would occur even
      when we were 1/2 mile away. All the more reason I guess to read the chart
      and not depend too much on instruments.

      Jim
      SV Alegria
      CN 35 #68
    • BarryR8195@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2000
      • BarryR8195@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2000
          We have the B & G Network depth sounder on Wildflower (C & N 35 #151). When
          we took her down the Waterway last fall we noticed that the readings would
          suddenly change and become unreliable after we were passed by a large power
          boat. --Barry Roberts