- In case you are not yet sick of hearing about this; here is the latest.
After grinding away enough of the port side of the rudder skeg to be able to
dig out all the diesel and water saturated foam, we addressed the shaft
strut issue. Diesel continued to weep so (weeping) I decided to open the
starboard side of the hull to get at it. A 4" by 8" gash was ground open
aft of the strut retaining bulkhead and a 2" by 3" gash in front.
Unfortunately the engine was not covered and the engine compartment panels
were no in so the entire inside of the boat was covered with fiberglass
dust. It too a weekend to clean up the salon and quarter berth.
The diesel soaked resin was chipped away to the hull and I can now say that
the diesel is out. We discovered a drill hole between the skeg and the
resin floor below the tank.
Evidently, after the skeg filled with diesel and water, the mixture passed
through to the strut area and BETWEEN the hull and the resin smudge. I am
still not sure how it got through the gelcoat and into the wooden bulkhead.
This week the grinding should finish and the re-fiberglassing begin.
BTW, I found a crack in the secondary cockpit scupper drain tube and fixed
it. It's worth checking because I am sure people step on it while the
lazarette hatch is open.
Anyone wanting to stop by and see the inside of the skeg and strut housing
is welcome. I have also installed the new anchor windlass, GPS, SSB, RF
modem and e-meter if you are interested. New holding tank is installed and
I am working on the plumbing for it.
I will be replacing the copper pipe inlet tube with hose and maybe the tank
to engine connections also. Despite the great convenience, I will remove
and plug the tap at the bottom of the tank. Even though it was not the
cause of the leak, I fear its presence,
S/V Dark Lady