Repairs

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2000
      In case you are not yet sick of hearing about this; here is the latest.
      After grinding away enough of the port side of the rudder skeg to be able to
      dig out all the diesel and water saturated foam, we addressed the shaft
      strut issue. Diesel continued to weep so (weeping) I decided to open the
      starboard side of the hull to get at it. A 4" by 8" gash was ground open
      aft of the strut retaining bulkhead and a 2" by 3" gash in front.
      Unfortunately the engine was not covered and the engine compartment panels
      were no in so the entire inside of the boat was covered with fiberglass
      dust. It too a weekend to clean up the salon and quarter berth.
      The diesel soaked resin was chipped away to the hull and I can now say that
      the diesel is out. We discovered a drill hole between the skeg and the
      resin floor below the tank.
      Evidently, after the skeg filled with diesel and water, the mixture passed
      through to the strut area and BETWEEN the hull and the resin smudge. I am
      still not sure how it got through the gelcoat and into the wooden bulkhead.
      This week the grinding should finish and the re-fiberglassing begin.

      BTW, I found a crack in the secondary cockpit scupper drain tube and fixed
      it. It's worth checking because I am sure people step on it while the
      lazarette hatch is open.

      Anyone wanting to stop by and see the inside of the skeg and strut housing
      is welcome. I have also installed the new anchor windlass, GPS, SSB, RF
      modem and e-meter if you are interested. New holding tank is installed and
      I am working on the plumbing for it.

      I will be replacing the copper pipe inlet tube with hose and maybe the tank
      to engine connections also. Despite the great convenience, I will remove
      and plug the tap at the bottom of the tank. Even though it was not the
      cause of the leak, I fear its presence,

      dennis-gibbons@...