Ruddeer skeg repaIr

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2000
      Opinions wanted:

      After discovering a crack in my rudder skeg and then diesel fuel in its
      center (a mess of resin and chop inside the laminate shell) I ground away
      one face and most of the center to where the skeg joins the hull. There is
      still some diesel in the space between the laminates but I can get the
      laminate dry enough to take rebonding. I have two conflicting opinions to
      evaluate

      My fiberglass repair guy (very good work) wants to grind, clean and rebuild
      the skeg in solid laminate using the one remaining side as the base. He
      says the bonding will hold, we are utilizing the structure of the skeg. The
      little diesel in the chop will just stay there.

      A Naval engineer /boat builder says to fill out the skeg with putty and
      create a mold from that. Use the mold to make a new skeg, cut off the old
      skeg and go up as far as it takes to remove all the chop and then "attach"
      the new skeg.

      It's a 35' cruiser and I leave to Trinidad in the Fall.

      Any thoughts

      dennis-gibbons@...