Re: [campernicholson] Transmission Alignment

  • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
      We did ours last year after replacing the cutlass bearing. I am confused
      about this flexible coupling though, I didn't think thre was such an animal
      for a V-drive?
      Perhaps you have the cart pushing the horse? Is the engine properly aligned?
      It is possible to get the thing to couple up when it is out of alignment,
      but as you found, there is a price to pay. Try with the shaft slid forward
      and see if it hits straight before trying to couple it up. That's the best
      way we can explain. You should be able to put one 1/10,000th feeler in one
      spot and have equal space to slide another around the rest of the coupling.
      Hope you can make sense of this.
      Engine alignment is tricky. Was the engine put in with the boat in the
      water? It should be to keep the boat in a 'normal' shape. Some shops will
      still try to do it out of the water.
      Has anyone offered to re-align the engine when they replace those seals? By
      the way, how expensive is a transmission seal rebuild?
      Good Luck
      Denece
      Blue Pearl- enjoying a stay in Monterey California