Re: [campernicholson] Reduction ratio-hydraulic drive

  • Albert Boyce
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 1999
      Frank

      I have 35/132 with the same hydraulic drive. I had this problem earlier
      this spring. I don't have the paper work with me now, but the yard was
      able to set the pitch on my 2 blade max prop correctly after some
      experimenting. It was basically a trial and error procedure. Prior to my
      purchasing Discovery the prop was overpitched and the engine would not run
      at more than 2500 rpm. I will dig out the paperwork to see if there is
      anything helpful there for you.

      I have only owned the boat for 4 months and am still trying to obtain more
      information on the hydraulic drive, specifically maintenance procedures
      (filters, changing oil, etc.) and have very little information. Anything
      you have on maintenance of the hydraulic system would be helpful.

      Thanks

      Al Boyce
      sv Discovery CN35/132
    • Frank & Sherri Voorheis
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2000
        I own 35/126 and am having difficulty setting the pitch on my Max Prop.  The pitch setting is dependent upon the reduction ratio on the hydraulic motor.  I measured my reduction ratio at 1.5:1, but am not all that confident of my measurements.  Could both of you (or anyone else with this drive) examine the label on the hydraulic motor in the bilge which drives the shaft, and let me know the make and model number on the motor.  Also, if you have solid evidence of your reduction ratio, it would be greatly appreciated.  My motor is a Fraser Deri hydraulic motor.  The type number appears to read M6/.2, but it is not very readable, particularly when upside down with a mirror.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Frank Voorheis
        Random Run
        35/126
      • bobandmilly
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2000
          Albert:

          I went for 18 years without doing anything to my hydraulic drive on Liberty
          (35/21). At her last haulout, I replaced the cartridge-type filter with a
          spin on, using a commonly available filter. The hydraulic person said to
          change it every other year and keep the hydraulic oil topped up. It is
          commonly available as Tellus 32. For all of its imperfections, it is low
          maintenance and gets the job done.

          Bob Salmons
          Liberty CN35/21

        • Jteipen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2000
            Bob

            Can you be more specific as to the filter set up that you used? Looks like I
            still have the original filter type installed. I understand you can still
            get them but would consider upgrading to something more readily available.
            The hydraulic people that I have talked to say to change the oil and filter
            every so often and that's about the only maintenance necessary. I am using
            Tellus 32 oil.

            Jim Teipen
            SV Alegria
            CN 35 # 68