Re: [campernicholson] Big Zink

  • BarryR8195@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2000
      Tom-- I believe that the hull Zinc on the C & N 35 and 40 are the same size.
      When we first acquired our boat (1979) we obtained replacement zincs throgh C
      & N's US rep Jimm Mann. As you know, he passed away several years ago. Many
      marine supply stores have larger zinc anodes that can be cut down to fit the
      indentation in the hull. (I think Fawcett's in Annapolis carried them at on
      time and might continue to have them). More recently (for the last 10 or 12
      years) we have just put in a slightly smaller off the shelf zinc, and we have
      had no problems. In theory, a smaller zinc will just wear down faster and
      will need replacement more often. Because we have had so little electrolytic
      or galvanic action, we only replace the hull zinc every several years. We do
      replace the zinc on the prop shaft whenever the boat is hauled and bottom
      painted. -Barry
    • Thomas J. Stanton
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2000
        BarryR8195@... wrote:

        > Tom-- I believe that the hull Zinc on the C & N 35 and 40 are the same size.

        Barry --

        Thanks for your reply. Most of the off the shelf zinks, like the one on the
        boat now,
        seem to be about 60% of the size of the indentation, and substantally thinner
        than the indentation. I will look at Fawcetts this week end. Again, thanks.

        Tom Stanton
      • Harrison Evatt
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2000
          Try a marine supply store for commercial fishing boats like shrimp trawlers. These
          types of stores will probably have large zinc which you can cut down to size.
          Harrison