Re: [campernicholson] Re: Fw: After Sales Information / Nich in Norway

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2000
      Welcome Thomas,

      I think I have been the only dual member until now. I'm sure we will help
      all we can.
      I can't tell you much about the "bumps" on the deck. As for the hull zincs,
      some of the members have bought plate zinc and cut and drilled them to fit.
      I will probably do the same when my last spare (currently installed) wears
      out. I do not think they are over the counter. Denice Vincent will reply
      ate some point and is the resident expert in that area.

      Dennis Gibbons
      dennis-gibbons@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2000
        Thomas, welcome to the list.   We live in Somers, New York and have owned hull #80 "Levity" for about 2 years.    Levity's first owner sailed her from England to the U.S. and spent several years cruising Florida and the Caribbean.  When we purchased Levity she was in the Northern U.S. in Massachusetts and her previous owners cruised her extensively in Maine and Nova Scotia.

        Regarding the zinc anode, you may want to contact Jeremy Linnes in the UK,  tel./fax 44 (0) 1705 583734 perhaps he will be able to tell you who supplied the zincs.  Mr. Linnes was the Technical Director for fiberglass boats at Camper & Nicholsons until his retirement in 1990.  Since the Aftermarket Sales Department was closed, Mr. Linnes has taken on some of this responsibility.  Since he is not being remunerated by C&N,  it has been suggested that Nic 35 owners offer payment for his services.

        When we purchased Levity, the boatyard that commissioned her had one of these zinc anodes in stock and installed it.  So perhaps they are still being manufactured.   Two other alternatives are (1) have a zinc made to your specifications or (2) fiberglass in the recess where the zinc now resides, with a proper fiberglass job, and install a surface-mounted zinc of a generic nature.   I would prefer having a zinc that large flush-mounted, so I would be inclined to do the work necessary to accomplish that.

        Regarding the fiberglass "bumps"  - if you have drilled in to a couple of them and it looks like the fiberglass is dry you can repair the individual bumps by just milling them out with a rotary milling tool and then fill the repair as you would any other fiberglass repair..   (If it is dry, when you crush it between your fingers it should turn to dust, or at least fall apart; if it mats together, it might indicate moisture)

        If the fiberglass seems damp, I would take the headliner down from inside and drill a 1 inch hole through the underside to expose the core and see if there is any moisture-damaged core.  If it is dry, repairing that hole is a fairly straightforward repair.  If you find wet fiberglass in the bumps and dry core, then it is probably a very localized moisture problem and the individual bumps can just be ground out and repaired.   Since you are putting treadmaster on your deck anyway, this is the time to drill those holes.

        If any of the above is not clear, please let me know and I will give more details.

        We would love to cruise Norway some time, perhaps we shall be able to do so in the next few years when we leave our jobs to go cruising.

        Best regards,

        Steve & Mary
        CN35 #80
        "Levity"