Steering Question

  • Stephen Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
      Does anyone on the list have any experience with Whitlock or Edson rack &
      pinion steering systems?

      We are thinking about converting our Nic 35, Levity from the cable &
      quadrant steering system. Any advice, opinions, greatly appreciated.

      Thanks.

      Steve Perry
      CN 35 #80
      Levity

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
        I have no experience with either. Why would you want to go through all
        that? Are you having a problem with the current system?
        dennis-gibbons@...
        > Does anyone on the list have any experience with Whitlock or Edson rack &
        > pinion steering systems?
        >
        > We are thinking about converting our Nic 35, Levity from the cable &
        > quadrant steering system. Any advice, opinions, greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Steve Perry
        > CN 35 #80
        > Levity

      • Stephen Perry
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
          Dennis,

          I am not having "trouble" with my current system. However, after years of
          steering a tiller boat, I just find the amount of friction in the wheel
          undesirable. I've examined the entire system and everything seems to be in
          fine working order. I think the friction is just something that is inherent
          in this particular system & this particular boat. Conversations with other
          boatowners and articles I've read indicate that this is typical of cable &
          quadrant systems.

          I've read articles on the rack & pinion systems and they have always been
          described as having a "tiller" feel in a wheel system. I examined the
          whitlock system at "Strictly Sail New England" last year and it seems to be
          a well designed and built system. Examining the geometry of the lever arms
          and tiller arms makes it clear why this would be a lower friction system
          than cable & quadrant. The Whitlock system speeds up the "hard over" time
          slightly by changing it from 2 revolutions of the wheel to 1.6 turns.

          Also, eliminating all the sheaves and cables eliminates potential failure
          problems. The rack & pinion system with gears and shafts seems to be more
          foolproof. These systems use a standard dimension pedastal and are not very
          difficult to install.

          Since I have gutted the interior of my boat almost entirely, and I am
          replumbing, rewiring and installing a custom wood interior, changing the
          steering seems to be a small job by comparison. :)

          By the way, hope we can meet up sometime this year.

          Steve Perry
          CN 35 #80
          Levity

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
            Stephen,
            I also have sailed a lot of tiller boats and find the helm on my boat not
            that much different. Do you have an autopilot or the like which may be
            adding friction to the system?

            I look forward to a meeting also. Are you going to Strickly sail new
            England in Hartford?.

            dennis-gibbons@...
            > I am not having "trouble" with my current system. However, after years of
            > steering a tiller boat, I just find the amount of friction in the wheel
            > undesirable. I've examined the entire system and everything seems to be
            in
            > fine working order. I think the friction is just something that is
            inherent
            > in this particular system & this particular boat. Conversations with
            other
            > boatowners and articles I've read indicate that this is typical of cable &
            > quadrant systems.
            >
            > I've read articles on the rack & pinion systems and they have always been
            > described as having a "tiller" feel in a wheel system. I examined the
            > whitlock system at "Strictly Sail New England" last year and it seems to
            be
            > a well designed and built system. Examining the geometry of the lever
            arms
            > and tiller arms makes it clear why this would be a lower friction system
            > than cable & quadrant. The Whitlock system speeds up the "hard over" time
            > slightly by changing it from 2 revolutions of the wheel to 1.6 turns.
            >
            > Also, eliminating all the sheaves and cables eliminates potential failure
            > problems. The rack & pinion system with gears and shafts seems to be more
            > foolproof. These systems use a standard dimension pedastal and are not
            very
            > difficult to install.
            >
            > Since I have gutted the interior of my boat almost entirely, and I am
            > replumbing, rewiring and installing a custom wood interior, changing the
            > steering seems to be a small job by comparison. :)
            >
            > By the way, hope we can meet up sometime this year.
            >
            > Steve Perry
            > CN 35 #80
            > Levity

          • Stephen Perry
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 29, 2000
              Dennis,

              I do have an autopilot, hadn't occurred to me that this might be causing
              some of the problem. When we purchased Levity, the surveyor examined the
              steering and he couldn't figure out where the problem was either. I'm still
              trying to find it.

              I am planning to go to Strictly Sail New England in March, not sure which
              day I'll go yet, probably Saturday unless I take a day off work.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 29, 2000
                Stephen,
                I had a linear drive Autohelm 5000 on the boat when I bought it. It burned
                out and I had a lot of drag and a grinding sound. Try disconnecting the
                autopilot and see if the helm moves more easily. If the boat is out of the
                water, try loosening the packing gland and see if that helps. You may need
                to repack it and the previous owner may have overtightened it to keep it
                from leaking. Check to see that there is no junk (including barnacles)
                jammed between the rudder and the skeg. Make sure the idler pulleys are no
                out of alignment.

                Good luck
                Dennis Gibbons
                dennis-gibbons@...