Masts

  • Thomas J. Stanton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
      We are looking into replacing our mast. The one C&N specified for our
      boat was a Sparlight mast. The original owner had an internal furling
      mast installed. It never worked properly, jammed on an Atlantic
      crossing and the sale had to be cut away. The furling gears were
      removed and mast is in such shape that the extensive repairs needed do
      not make much sense.
      Does anyone know what happened to Sparlight. It was a UK firm. Has any
      one on the list replaced a mast or had to deal with a similar problem.

      Tom Stanton
      s/v Discovery
      C&N 40ac
    • York-Miller, Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
        I am afraid that Sparlight ceased trading many years ago (at least 15). I
        don't think that anyone makes identical extrusions so you will need to get a
        new mast designed. I am sure that you will find it easier to deal with
        someone on your side of the Atlantic. I needed to replace the Sparlight
        mast on my Nicholson 26 and found that the UK firm of Z-Spars could tackle
        the job competently. It really shouldn't be too difficult.
        Mike YM CN35 ~158.

        We are looking into replacing our mast. The one C&N specified for
        our
        boat was a Sparlight mast. The original owner had an internal
        furling
        mast installed. It never worked properly, jammed on an Atlantic
        crossing and the sale had to be cut away. The furling gears were
        removed and mast is in such shape that the extensive repairs needed
        do
        not make much sense.
        Does anyone know what happened to Sparlight. It was a UK firm. Has
        any
        one on the list replaced a mast or had to deal with a similar
        problem.

        Tom Stanton
        s/v Discovery
        C&N 40ac

        --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
        ----------------------------

        $10 Savings on Pet Valentine Gifts.
        Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine's Day gift?
        Click here for $10 off purchases of $25 or more.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2000
          Tom,
          The CN35 uses a Kemp spar and I believe one or two had actually used one
          sized for the 40. I guess I am saying to check with Kemp and see if they
          can help.
          Dennis Gibbons
          dennis-gibbons@...
          > We are looking into replacing our mast. The one C&N specified for our
          > boat was a Sparlight mast. The original owner had an internal furling
          > mast installed. It never worked properly, jammed on an Atlantic
          > crossing and the sale had to be cut away. The furling gears were
          > removed and mast is in such shape that the extensive repairs needed do
          > not make much sense.
          > Does anyone know what happened to Sparlight. It was a UK firm. Has any
          > one on the list replaced a mast or had to deal with a similar problem.
          >
          > Tom Stanton
          > s/v Discovery
          > C&N 40ac

          > $10 Savings on Pet Valentine Gifts.
          > Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine's Day gift?
          > Click here for $10 off purchases of $25 or more.

        • Rayfield Simon
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2000
            The mast on Dediou (no.42) was replaced about 10 years ago with equipment
            made by Canclini, complete with boom and roller furling genoa. This rig has
            twin spreaders, inner forestay and additional port and starboard 3/4 stays
            tensioned manually with separate pulley tackles to provide additional
            stiffening when running with a storm jib on the inner forestay.

            Pre-purchase survey (Dec '99) revealed oxidation at the mast foot (minor ?),
            and the surveyor advised removing the mast for a closer inspection of mast
            and entire rig.

            However, I have yet to trace Canclini (internet produced a blank), but as
            this boat has spent its life in the Med I am assuming the rig is French or
            Italian.

            When the mast is lifted in a few months time I will need to measure
            everything. Meantime, if anyone can shed any light on this rig I would
            welcome their comments.

            Simon Rayfield
          • York-Miller, Michael
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2000
              When Vortex was surveyed in 1997 there was some corrosion on the mast foot -
              perhaps this is a common problem to watch out for. The mast was removed by
              Hamble Rigging, who repaired it at minimal cost.
              I previously mentioned Z-Spars as a supplier of masts. Their details are:
              Web site: www.zspars.com <http://www.zspars.com>
              Phone: +44 - 1473 -822-130
              Address:
              Z Spars UK
              Unit 2, Pond Hall Road
              Hadleigh
              Suffolk IP7 5EN
              UK

              Mike York-Miller CN35 #158

[...]

              GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent

              Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
              Here</a>