Ice Box conversion

  • Denece &/or Bob Vincent <bluepearl@xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 1998
      I was thinking about the up-coming and dreaded IceBox rebuild and
      wondered if any of you had checked the insulation on yours? The only
      place I'm pretty sure we even 'have' any is the lid. I checked the other
      sides of the box with a flashlight and mirror, and confirmed my
      suspicions by measuring the inside and outside dimensions ( big oops for
      C&N). The only way I can think of to get adequate insulation is to cut
      out the liner and rebuild down the hatch, as it were.
      anybody got a better (and hopefully easier) suggestion?

      Denece

      PS Sorry if any of you get duplicates, I think it is turning out that
      you have to access the web page (my "organization" above, if supported
      by your software) in order to subscribe, and I realize that is not
      possible for some.
    • <dennis-gibbons@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 1998
        I drilled a hole for my frideg unit in the bulkhead to the sail locker and
        found about an inch. I don't know about the other directions.
        I just hope there is some. I'll ask CN when I am there

        ----------
        > From: Denece &/or Bob Vincent <bluepearl@...>
        > To: campernicholson@onelist.com
        > Subject: [campernicholson] Ice Box conversion
        > Date: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 12:26 PM
        >
        > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
        > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
        > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

        ___

      • Phil Childress <jpchldrs@pechan.com&g
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 1998
          Denece-

          Looks like the sale of Zodiac Belle will go through this month, to John
          Pownall, an Aussie currently living and working near me in Virginia. So
          I'll not be taking icebox dimensions, will but give my experience.

          Ice seems to last better than we expected, since the bottom of the box is
          near the water, and not too much affected by engine heat. There must be
          some insulation--like plywood or thin foam--in the sides and bottom.

          In '93, four 20 lb blocks lasted to Bermuda and beyond--about 9 days total.
          This was using a towel on top of everything--some evaporative cooling
          effect may be captured this way. Coming back, we decided on no ice--really
          the best answer offshore. Cool drinks then depend on seawater temp--really
          rather cool except for the Gulf Stream.

          I guess I would say that insulation would be way down near the bottom of my
          list.

          Good luck-

          Phil