Replacement Wheel

  • scribbler166
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014

      I have a 1978 Nic 35 and was trying to replace the steering wheel.  It is the older "inverted V" pedestal with a tapered steering shaft. The current wheel is bolted to the shaft via internal threads (as opposed to the shaft having a threaded end to receive a locking nut).

      Has anyone successfully changed the wheel and if so what steps did you need to go through?  It appears that most modern wheels have the wrong taper and/or key.

      All suggestions welcome!

      Thanks for your help.

      Stephen

      Dagmara II - No 154

    • John Stothart
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
        I have removed the wheel on "Dabbler" Nich 35 hull 79.
        I undid the nut and had to use a puller to get the wheel off. There is a small easily lose-able crescent shaped key that fits in the shaft.

        Regards,
        John

        On 12 Jun 2014, at 12:33, "s.mcvittie@... [campernicholson]" <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I have a 1978 Nic 35 and was trying to replace the steering wheel.  It is the older "inverted V" pedestal with a tapered steering shaft. The current wheel is bolted to the shaft via internal threads (as opposed to the shaft having a threaded end to receive a locking nut).

        Has anyone successfully changed the wheel and if so what steps did you need to go through?  It appears that most modern wheels have the wrong taper and/or key.

        All suggestions welcome!

        Thanks for your help.

        Stephen

        Dagmara II - No 154

      • galljj35
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
          If you use a gear puller that has a center shaft that fits in the bolt hole then you should put something over the hole to prevent the shaft damaging the threads. If you damage then you need to run a tap in there to chase the threads.

          Voice of experience speaking, even though I was forewarned.

          Does anyone know the taper on the shaft? British standard taper, like the taper on the prop shaft ?

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • dagmara_ii
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
            Thanks folks for the replies, my question was probably not well expressed!  I am able to remove the existing wheel OK but wish to replace it with a new wheel that will match the taper and shaft.  Has anyone been able to source such a wheel or does the shaft need to be machined to accept a new wheel??

            Thanks
            Stephen
            Dagmara II - No. 154
          • David Seer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2014
              Stephen,

              Do you know who manufactured your steering pedestal ?

              Best Regards,
              DS.

              To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com