Re: CN35 Blisters/Wet Deck Core

  • Jteipen@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2000
      Al,

      I own hull # 68 with a Perkins 4-108, a Denison Abex hydraulic pump and a
      Fraser Deri Hydraulic motor. Getting parts for the Perkins is absolutely no
      issue whatsoever. I also have the original Perkins engine manual which is
      pretty useful. However, I have learned that some of the engines are slightly
      different from what is in the manual. I don't know where you are located
      but Denison has dealers all over the US. The service technician at the
      dealer near me told me that there is practically no maintenance of the pump
      except to change the oil and filter on a regular basis. The only other thing
      he could think of is to replace the seals if they leak. There is a seal kit
      available for my pump for about $180. I always figured I would ship one of
      these kits as a spare if I was about to do extended cruising but I've never
      gotten around to ordering it. I don't have a manual for the pump but I do
      have an extensive parts list. I was told by the dealer that it is possible
      to replace the entire pump should it ever become necessary. As I recall the
      cost is about $1500. I have not been able to find any information or contact
      info for the Fraser motor unit. I would appreciate any info that anyone
      might have on it.

      When I was buying my boat, I was a little leery about the hydraulic drive but
      it has been very dependable. I assume the hydraulics allow a better
      placement of the prop and the boat actually does back pretty well but then I
      don't have anything to compare it to having never had the opportunity to back
      a 35 with a transmission set up. I think the main downside is that the
      hydraulics take more horsepower which takes more fuel which limits range
      somewhat. The 4-108 generates 48 to 52 horsepower depending on which source
      you look at and burns a little less than 1 gal/hour at cruising speed. That
      seems high to me but maybe others can comment on their experience.

      If you buy the boat I would be happy to copy the manuals/parts lists that I
      have and give you the contact numbers and info that I have.

      Jim Teipen
      SV Alegria
      CN 35 - 68
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2000
        Commenting on fuel consumption. On the long way down to Bermuda with NO
        wind I had the occasion to carefully monitor fuel consumption on my Piranha.
        Cruising at 5-5.5 knots in a virtual calm at 1800rpm I averaged better than
        1/2 gal per hour. I now use that figure as gospel.

        Dennis Gibbons
        dennis-gibbons@...