Wind Charger Mount

  • adrian turner
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2014
      Hi Brian,

      Just to let you know that our pole mounting will oscillate sometimes in a strong breeze which is why I suggested s/s rod bracing.  Not sure if PVC tubing would be rigid enough & also did you mean mild steel or s/s bracing. I presume you meant s/s as I wouldn't think it a good idea to introduce any mild steel to affect compasses etc.

      Cheers, Adrian,  Coriander
    • nimbusmail
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2014

        Hi Brian, Folks,

        Sorry I do not have a photograph handy, but I can try to explain my own windvane mount on Scenario (Nic 33). The vane post is on the port quarter and has *three* SS wire stays, which is I think the key to stability. One runs forward approx 30° from vertical forward to the port toe rail, another laterally to the rail on the stern, and the third stay is lashed back to the transom mount of the hydrovane self steering gear, maybe 30 - 40cms aft of the transom. I guess this is a lucky circumstance with an opportunity for a third stay positioned aft. This set-up, crafted by previous owner, is really robust. The installation forms a 'safe' area in the cockpit, though I am nervous about that meat grinder within fairly easy reach of any careless crew - you'd have to reach high while standing on the lazarette. I have some reflective tape and placards on the post as a reminder. There is also a deck light up there in convenient location.

        Glenn Rainey

        Scenario

        Nic 33

        Largs

        Scotland

      • Brian Hess
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2014
          Stainless, of course. Not sure about the steel grade of the tower bracing, as it is an enameled surface. It's pretty rigid on its own and I planned to use a PVC piping that is normally used for underground conduit--very rigid. It is also made of the plastic that is resilient to UV light.

          Thanks for such a great conversation and suggestions for installation!

          Brian
          Skipper
          SV Triton
          Nic 33
          Tahuya, WA (USA)

          --

          Brian Hess
          Skipper

            Message 5 of 6 , May 22, 2014

              Hi Brian - very happy to share pics with you, especially as it was the last guys work, and he is a professional boat builder! This Nic' has had various interesting mods for single handed voyaging. Several problems - firstly I am unsure how share image, if posted as group file, though I'd be happy to send pics direct. I am at boat name at surname punctuation co punctuation uk. That might work for you. It will be a few days for me to do this, and the interior is a horrible mess right now with my frenzy to get launched this year. I don't want to lift out for 2 seasons. lots of prep.

              best,

            • bhess6539
              Message 6 of 6 , May 29, 2014
                you can email me the directly at brian.hess72@... and send me a link to any pics you might have of your Nic 33. I am going to start some major projects tomorrow. I am remodeling my galley and my Navigation center.

                Thanks!

                Brian