leaking fuel pipe

  • keithchippendale
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2014

      About 10 years ago there was discussion about replacing the stainless fuel pipe with a modern flexible pipe. I now need to do this on my Nic 40ac to fix a substantial leak when heeled.

      Does this require the galley cupboards to be removed or is it a struggle job to saw the pipe with the galley cupboard in position. Any suggestions please?

      Keith Chippendale

      Nic 40ac - Blue Dawn 2

    • svgosling
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2014
        I would definitely replace the pipe with an diesel fuel approved re-in forced synthetic hose. Any attempt to replace the original with something similar will probably entail major surgery. Re-route the new hose as best you can and secure both ends with double clamps. You should also replace the diesel return line while you are at it.
        Cheers and good luck.
        J-G
        SVGosling Nic 42/6

      • MARK HOENKE
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2014

          I am unfamiliar with your vessel.  Can you use a hack saw or a portable battery operated saws-all or portable band saw to cut it off?   If you can leave a stub, could you then use clamps to attach a suitable hose?

          We have five SS tanks on our C&N 58. The tanks have welded on BSP threaded bosses for pipe.   Pipes were plain steel & rusty.  I cut them short, unscrewed the stubs and made replacements of 316 SS pipe with BSP one end and NPT on the other.  I installed valves on the stub ends and then hose barbs.

          If you need to replace totally back to the tank wall, you will have a couple of options.  Use a carbide burr die grinder & 20,000 rpm drive to clean up the tank wall.  Hire a welder with a portable tiny TIG machine & weld in a new stub. OR   Find a BULKHEAD fitting than can be installed through the hole and secured with a gasket.