NIC 35 / Andromeda Of Arisaig / Hull 167 / Mast Replacement Update

  • jveslov
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2014
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.4 MB

    I would like to share my recent experience as to Mast Damage due to Corrosion.

    • Andromeda came ashore with Mast Down during the autumn of 2013 after the Rig had been up for 5 Years (8,000 nm).
    • I asked the Yard to check the rig as well as provide an offer for a Rod Kicker/Vang.
    • During the inspection it was found the current Kicker Mast Attachment (which is made in stainless steel) was not sealed/salt water had gained access between the attachment.
    • In addition to the above the subsequent corrosion had allowed slight movements of the Kicker Mast Attachment.
    • The mast was deemed beyond economical repairs due to the corrosion, access restriction and sounding of the material.
    • I have attached pictures for your guidance.
    • I made contact with my Surveyor and having reviewed options such as new mast, an external or internal sleve.
    • The Surveyor would not sign off the external/internal sleeve option for Deep Sea/Ocean, therefore,  the result is "Andromeda" will be having a new mast in 2 weeks time.
    • The mast supplier is Selden (technical details available upon request)

    The good news - While "Andromeda" is having her '35th' birthday this summer, the new Mast, Vang as well upgraded instrumentation will ensure she will continue sailing for many Years to come. She is currently in Denmark and will this Year be voyaging between Denmark, Sweden and Norway as well as attending the first NIC35 Denmark Rally.

    Happy Sailing
    Jorgen

  • John Gall
    Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2014
      Thanks for the information.  May we know what the cost was, if that is not too painful to discuss ?

      [Attachment(s) from jveslov@... included below]

      Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2014
        The bills continue coming in and only by June will I have the total costs. The current estimate is EUR 22.000. The figure includes the removal of the standard fitting between the Coach Roof and Saloon Roof (which did not allow for the Selden Mast secure setup). and installation of Selden Standard Mast configuration. Work is performed in Denmark which "enjoy" a high rate of VAT/Sales Tax.

        Shall we say the costs was not included in the Annual Maintenance Budget, but then again, it is NIC 35.
      • Alan Thorne
        Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2014
          Jorgen,

          I refurbished my rudder on our Nic 32 four years ago. It was full of water and soggy foam. No sign of deterioration since then. Holes were drilled all over the rudder in order to dry it out and later, by chamfering the holes and filling with thickened epoxy, to form rivets that hold the two sides together. The whole rudder was then sheathed in biaxial cloth and epoxy. New pintle and strap too. Fals Cappa was built in 1969.

          Here is a series of photos. http://www.kentmarineservices.co.uk/rudder.html

          Hope that helps. Contact me for further details if you wish.

          Alan Thorne
          The Purifier Yacht And Dinghy Co Ltd

          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com