RE: [campernicholson] Re: Nic 303

  • David Seer
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
      Japan ?...  That's a new one on me !

      The 303 was built in Gosport, UK, in the same place as the 345.

      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: parkercr@...
      Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:38:41 +0000
      Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Nic 303

      Actually the 303 is basically a cruise version that was built in Japan.
      I have the digital draft drawings of the 30 1/2 ton, used them for the restoration. The interiors we spartan, the hull however is very strong and after 34 years is sound.

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Duke _of_URL" <duke_of_ur1@...> wrote:

      > The Nic 303 and 33 were designed under the IOR rule by Ron Holland. Thus
      > they have a wide beam, high freeboard, pinched ends, and unbalanced sail
      > plans. The Nic 303's poor stability is shown in this link:
      > http://www.geocities.com/duke_of_ur1/CWBB/stability_comp.jpg
      > Grimalkin, a Nic 303, represents the worst of the boats designed under the
      > IOR rule and has a reputation for being unseaworthy. Duke

    • Parker Reinhardt
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 14, 2013
        Dave,

        You would be correct the 303 was built in Gosport, UK. However later versions were produced in Japan. Apparently, the molds were purchased and shipped to Japan where additional boats were produced. I'll have to look through some documentation but I'm certain, this to be true.

        Cheers again,

        Parker
        The 303 was built in Gosport, UK, in the same place as the 345, and most of the other production yachts.

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Parker Reinhardt" <parkercr@...> wrote:

        > Actually the 303 is basically a cruise version that was built in Japan.
        > I have the digital draft drawings of the 30 1/2 ton, used them for the restoration. The interiors we spartan, the hull however is very strong and after 34 years is sound.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
          Parker,

          That's interesting... I assume that this was before the 303 was put into production as the Fast 303 ?

          DS.