RE: [campernicholson] Life Raft Mounting on Coach Roof / NIC 35 "Andromeda of Arisaig"

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2013
      Jorgen,

      We have a Viking 6 person life raft in a stainless steel cradel  that is is mounted forward of the dodger position on the main hatch cover.   It's secured to the cradel by a single nylon strap running port and starboard with a quick release and the life raft inflation rip cord/painter is attached to the cradel.   In addition to the ability to launch the raft manually,  there is a hydrostatic mechanism on one side of the nylon strap, which is designed to release and trigger inflation of the raft automatically underwater at 10 meters of water pressure.

      Jim

      Alegria
      CN 35 - 68

      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: colin@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:37:29 +0100
      Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Life Raft Mounting on Coach Roof / NIC 35 "Andromeda of Arisaig"

      Hi Jorgen,

      We have a set up on Trutz with the liferaft (4 man canister) mounted on teak blocks forward of the sprayhood.  I will send you pictures at the weekend.  We have the liferaft held on with ratchet straps currently but I am going to upgrade this to a purpose built stainless steel cradle with quick release clips.  This will screw straight in to the teak blocks which are through bolted on the hatch garage.

      We also have a hole in the port block which you can tie the liferaft painter to.  We leave it permanently rigged.  If the raft goes over the side it will inflate and remain attached to the boat.

      It is a simple set up and doesn’t cut visibility down too much.

      Rgds

      Colin

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2013
        Greetings
        On Coromandel the life raft is on teak blocks forward of the mast. It is an Avon cannister four person, secured by two quick-release webbing straps and covered with a sunbrella cover.
        Cheers
        Linda

        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, June 9, 2013, 11:22 AM