Re: Ipad specification

  • john
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
      Get the 7 inch with a case that keeps the salty dusty air out, 16G memory and 3G unlocked. Only 3G ipads have free standing GPS. Check the much cheaper 7 inch 3G Google or Samsungs. Select your aps before you buy. My 7 inch wifi only Google Nook has a wounderful GPS but fewer nav apps. If you leave it lose and hit a bump it may fly far and crash hard.

      I have two conventional chart plotters one for Garmin and the newer for Navionics. So far no Navionics for my Google Nook. Any 7 inch tablet fits in a backpack (wraped in plastic) for the dinkey ride ashore and should survive a good rainstorm.

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <ribarker@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > We've followed the correspondence on the use of Ipads for navigation with great interest and have decided that we wish to buy one (we just needed a justification - the navigator has wanted one for ages!).
      >
      > Can someone summarise for us the best specification to go for eg size of memory, wi-fi, cell, 3G etc etc?
      >
      > Many thanks!
      >
      > Bob Barker
      > Nixie N35/29

    • Mary Verlaque
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2013
        Just attended a seminar on Nav applications for smart phones and pads. The presenter said that the overwhelming advantage is with i devices as there are so many more applications there and each application is tested before release. The non apple arena is very chaotic at this time (he said). He also mentioned the advantage of having an internal GPS, however-- if you own a wifi version you can add the GPS via a device like the "Bad Elf".

        Good luck!
        Mary / I Wanda (Nic 40)