Re: [campernicholson] Re: HURTH GEARBOX

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
      Many times oil seals are replaceable from the outside, but after you get the old one out do give the shaft a good look over (and feel) to check for ridges and pitting.  If it is worn, it can sometimes be repaired by regrinding and/or installation of a shaft repair sleeve.  At that point though, it's a fair bet you'd need to break the box down on the bench.

      Good luck.
      Graham

      On 04/20/2013 8:52 AM, Don wrote:

      Hi Graham,

      Air vent not blocked so I will be taking the gearbox out.

      Don
      Saunterer

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

      > An easy test to see if the vent is working is to run the transmission
      > with the valve and tube in the #7 hole open. Lead the tube upwards and
      > see if the oil gets pushed up the tube. At any rate, it should stop
      > leaking past the seals once the case is open to the atmosphere. If
      > leaks continue, it pretty much confirms a bad seal and/or shaft
      >
      > Graham.

    • simon allard
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
        Hi Don,

        Not been online for sometime so sorry I didn't pick up your mail.
        I wonder if you can remind me of your personal email address so that I can correspond with you regards how you are finding your Beta engine?

        thanks
        Simon

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
          I don't mean to barge in but I would love to 'talk' with someone who has repowered with a Beta.

          Allen