Re: Ipad specification

  • Jean-Guy
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
      We have just finished a season of cruising from El Salvador to Panama And are now just ready to haul out on the Caribbean side for the Summer. We have used the I-Pad extensively for navigation as a trial and have found it extremely useful, particularly when you consider that it is a completely separate and independent chart plotting system.
      Ours is a 16G, I-Pad 2. Do not believe the salesmen if they claim that it cannot be used unless you are in WIFI or 3G connect range. With the I-NavX program and the associated charts installed, the I-Pad delivers flawlessly and is only limited to your understanding of the program (there are a lot of quirks) and the accuracy of the chart packages. We found that in Central America the accuracy of the charts and the depth shading in some areas was wanting, however, the techs accept your input so eventually the product will get better.
      There were 2 versions of the I-Pad when we bought ours. The Verizon version is locked to the Verizon system. The AT&T version is unlocked and will accept any type of mini SIM card. We had to change ours for every country we went through.
      We have discovered another App that every I-Pad cruiser should be aware of. Drag Queen is actually an I-Phone app but works very well with the I-Pad. It is an anchor watch program and allows you to enter the Lat Long and several other useful parameters.
      Cheers
      J-G
      SV Gosling, C&N 42/6
      Shelter Bay Marina, Colon, RP
      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, JOHN LARSON <jsl-sll@...> wrote:

      > We got the latest version of iPad with built in Sim card, GPS and 32 gig. Using Verizon LTE is amazingly fast and not to expensive. We started with the one gig plan at $20 per month and for most of our use traveling by car and trailer, it was plenty. On returning home, we cancelled the Verizon plan and will start it again when next travelling, either by land or water.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 22, 2013
        Hi again!

        Thanks for all the really helpful responses. We think we now know what to buy, and yes, a refurbished one via the Apple Store with a full warranty can save us over £150 - more money for charts. Which then begs the next question ... we've seen the references to Inavix as well as Navionics, but looking at the Inavix website it seems to suggest we have to tie ourselves into them even though we would need Navionics charts (bought via their reseller) for the UK and Europe, our sailing areas. Any advice? Just go for the Navionics App and charts?

        And in answer to the 'interface' question - we don't have anything on board that interfaces as the moment ... we are rapidly moving from 'old technology' of Yeoman Chart Plotter interfaced to our GPS only, to laptop on board with Seapro which interfaces to AIS (but GPS dongle only) and now iPad for more flexible use underway ... :)

        Bob Barker
        N35/29 Nixie
      • Simon Frost
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 23, 2013

          Bob,

          I have an ipad 32G with inbuilt GPS that I bought for work for £499 with inavx and Navionics gold France, Netherlands and Iberia Charts downloaded from Fugawi, inavx retailer  for c £70 – excellent. I notice that the ipad also can link wirelessly to a Digital Yacht AIS specifically designed to talk to I pad. Not got this yet but if it works sounds great.  Only thing on the Ipad is that I can’t seem to orientate the cursor to ‘course up’ otherwise very happy.

          Alternative if you only have the wifi version  is to get an external GPS such as Bad Elf. Not sure though whether with this external dongle it could fit into a waterproof bag.

          Simon

          Nic 35/62

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
            Get the 7 inch with a case that keeps the salty dusty air out, 16G memory and 3G unlocked. Only 3G ipads have free standing GPS. Check the much cheaper 7 inch 3G Google or Samsungs. Select your aps before you buy. My 7 inch wifi only Google Nook has a wounderful GPS but fewer nav apps. If you leave it lose and hit a bump it may fly far and crash hard.

            I have two conventional chart plotters one for Garmin and the newer for Navionics. So far no Navionics for my Google Nook. Any 7 inch tablet fits in a backpack (wraped in plastic) for the dinkey ride ashore and should survive a good rainstorm.

            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <ribarker@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > We've followed the correspondence on the use of Ipads for navigation with great interest and have decided that we wish to buy one (we just needed a justification - the navigator has wanted one for ages!).
            >
            > Can someone summarise for us the best specification to go for eg size of memory, wi-fi, cell, 3G etc etc?
            >
            > Many thanks!
            >
            > Bob Barker
            > Nixie N35/29

          • Mary Verlaque
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 26, 2013
              Just attended a seminar on Nav applications for smart phones and pads. The presenter said that the overwhelming advantage is with i devices as there are so many more applications there and each application is tested before release. The non apple arena is very chaotic at this time (he said). He also mentioned the advantage of having an internal GPS, however-- if you own a wifi version you can add the GPS via a device like the "Bad Elf".

              Good luck!
              Mary / I Wanda (Nic 40)