RE: [campernicholson] HURTH GEARBOX

  • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2013

      Hi Don,

      We had our Hurth v drive refurbished as it was leaking ATF from the rear output shaft seal.

      The shaft itself had become a little corroded at some stage and this took the seal out.  We were constantly topping up and mopping up.

      We got a firm in Arundel to dismantle it.  They re-sleeved the output shaft and put in two new bearings.  It is fine now.  Not too expensive although we took the gearbox out ourselves and that necessitated a lift out.  We did it as part of the usual winter maintenance so there wasn’t an extra cost.

      They checked the clutch packs at the same time and they were found to be fine with plenty of life left in them.  They are a pretty good gearbox apparently and well over spec for the size of boat and engine.

      Hopefully you just have a blocked breather but if it looks like the rear seal most likely the above work will solve the problem.

      Rgds

      Colin

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15, 2013
        Thanks for the responses.

        I have the model HBW15 2.8RV which does not have a dipstick. The oil level is correct when oil overflows from the number 7 hole (as per Hurth manual). As I thought I was overfilling I replaced the plug, in the number 7 hole, with the nipple, clear tube and valve but on occasions I am overfilling.

        I will check the breather hole but failing that I am thinking that I will have to remove the gearbox.

        My cruising areas of Caribbean Basin and South America are at times so remote that a gearbox failure would be a problem. Trying to find ATF in the Bahama Out Islands this winter was difficult and checking gearbox oil level every day and topping up with the attendant loss of oil from overflow is messy and frustrating.

        Thanks again - good have other opinions and experiences.

        Don Cleland
        Saunterer

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 20, 2013
            Hi Graham,

            Air vent not blocked so I will be taking the gearbox out.

            Don
            Saunterer

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
              Many times oil seals are replaceable from the outside, but after you get the old one out do give the shaft a good look over (and feel) to check for ridges and pitting.  If it is worn, it can sometimes be repaired by regrinding and/or installation of a shaft repair sleeve.  At that point though, it's a fair bet you'd need to break the box down on the bench.

              Good luck.
              Graham

              On 04/20/2013 8:52 AM, Don wrote:

              Hi Graham,

              Air vent not blocked so I will be taking the gearbox out.

              Don
              Saunterer

              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

              > An easy test to see if the vent is working is to run the transmission
              > with the valve and tube in the #7 hole open. Lead the tube upwards and
              > see if the oil gets pushed up the tube. At any rate, it should stop
              > leaking past the seals once the case is open to the atmosphere. If
              > leaks continue, it pretty much confirms a bad seal and/or shaft
              >
              > Graham.

            • simon allard
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
                Hi Don,

                Not been online for sometime so sorry I didn't pick up your mail.
                I wonder if you can remind me of your personal email address so that I can correspond with you regards how you are finding your Beta engine?

                thanks
                Simon

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
                  I don't mean to barge in but I would love to 'talk' with someone who has repowered with a Beta.

                  Allen