Re: HURTH GEARBOX

  • johnbaillie@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14 8:15 AM
      Don,

      When I first bought Nic 35, Amaryllis, I had continual problems with gearoil being thrown out of the Hurth Vee Drive. I kept on topping up with ATF to the dipstick level. I reduced the amount of oil to the value shown in page 14 of the manual I have. I've put a copy in the Hurth Owner's Manuals folder I've created in the Yahoo Group. The oil never reached the dipstick and no more was thrown out.

      I'm now wondering whether I have misread the manual and have a blocked vent as Graham describes. Time to recheck.

      Anyway, if you have one of the models listed, you can drain and refill with the correct amount of ATF and eliminate one variable from the equation.

      John Baillie

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <canbrisas@...> wrote:

      > Saunterer has a Hurth Gear Box and I have a
      > continual minor oil leak which may or not be from the seals or it may just be caused by overfilling with oil.
      >
      > In an attempt to ensure that I do not overfill I have removed the sump overflow plug and screwed in a nipple with a clear plastic hose and valve with the open end of the tube into a container to catch the overfill. I fill to the level where oil is seen in the clear plastic tube and open the valve to drain the excess into the container. There is a time lag issue because after I drain the excess and wait 10 minutes l again have overflow oil in the plastic tube.
      >
      > After running the engine for a few hours I see a small amount of oil in the sump. I am not sure if this self overflowing (as per Hurth's manual in the case of overfilling) or if the oil seals are weeping. I have no oil leaks after a 6 month lay up. Also, as the gearbox is run the oil heats up and will expand so maybe that is a contributing factor to the oil weep.
      >
      > I would like to hear back from other owners with a Hurth gearbox on their experience regarding leaks, filling and the self leveling overflow.
      >
      > If all the other Hurth's are leak free then I guess I have to remove the gearbox and redo the oil seals but I would rather avoid that if other owners experience this same problem.
      >
      > Thanks also for the response on the B & G instrument issue I posted a few weeks ago - it was very helpful and I am researching the various responses.
      >
      > Don Cleland
      > Nic 35 Saunterer

    • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14 11:46 AM

        Hi Don,

        We had our Hurth v drive refurbished as it was leaking ATF from the rear output shaft seal.

        The shaft itself had become a little corroded at some stage and this took the seal out.  We were constantly topping up and mopping up.

        We got a firm in Arundel to dismantle it.  They re-sleeved the output shaft and put in two new bearings.  It is fine now.  Not too expensive although we took the gearbox out ourselves and that necessitated a lift out.  We did it as part of the usual winter maintenance so there wasn’t an extra cost.

        They checked the clutch packs at the same time and they were found to be fine with plenty of life left in them.  They are a pretty good gearbox apparently and well over spec for the size of boat and engine.

        Hopefully you just have a blocked breather but if it looks like the rear seal most likely the above work will solve the problem.

        Rgds

        Colin

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15 5:34 AM
          Thanks for the responses.

          I have the model HBW15 2.8RV which does not have a dipstick. The oil level is correct when oil overflows from the number 7 hole (as per Hurth manual). As I thought I was overfilling I replaced the plug, in the number 7 hole, with the nipple, clear tube and valve but on occasions I am overfilling.

          I will check the breather hole but failing that I am thinking that I will have to remove the gearbox.

          My cruising areas of Caribbean Basin and South America are at times so remote that a gearbox failure would be a problem. Trying to find ATF in the Bahama Out Islands this winter was difficult and checking gearbox oil level every day and topping up with the attendant loss of oil from overflow is messy and frustrating.

          Thanks again - good have other opinions and experiences.

          Don Cleland
          Saunterer

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 20 5:52 AM
              Hi Graham,

              Air vent not blocked so I will be taking the gearbox out.

              Don
              Saunterer

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21 5:06 PM
                Many times oil seals are replaceable from the outside, but after you get the old one out do give the shaft a good look over (and feel) to check for ridges and pitting.  If it is worn, it can sometimes be repaired by regrinding and/or installation of a shaft repair sleeve.  At that point though, it's a fair bet you'd need to break the box down on the bench.

                Good luck.
                Graham

                On 04/20/2013 8:52 AM, Don wrote:

                Hi Graham,

                Air vent not blocked so I will be taking the gearbox out.

                Don
                Saunterer

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

                > An easy test to see if the vent is working is to run the transmission
                > with the valve and tube in the #7 hole open. Lead the tube upwards and
                > see if the oil gets pushed up the tube. At any rate, it should stop
                > leaking past the seals once the case is open to the atmosphere. If
                > leaks continue, it pretty much confirms a bad seal and/or shaft
                >
                > Graham.

              • simon allard
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Hi Don,

                  Not been online for sometime so sorry I didn't pick up your mail.
                  I wonder if you can remind me of your personal email address so that I can correspond with you regards how you are finding your Beta engine?

                  thanks
                  Simon

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
                    I don't mean to barge in but I would love to 'talk' with someone who has repowered with a Beta.

                    Allen