Re: [campernicholson] BROOKES & GATEHOUSE MARK 4 HORNET

  • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hi don

      I have the hornet 4 on Trutz and recently replaced the speed impellor transducer.

      Tinley electronics in lymington can supply a modern transducer and a nmea converter box which translates the signal to analogue so that your hornet unit can make sense of it.

      Their website is helpful.  Not cheap but will be a lot less than new instruments.

      Rgds

      Colin

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
        I don't know what a hornet is but I removed all the B&G antiques from our boat three years ago. Perhaps I have spare stuff. Can you send a PM? I can send photos.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013

            The set up I have interfaces with a modern Raymarine plotter and autopilot.  I did the wind instrument too as they produce a converter box for that.  I have been very pleased with the result.

            Colin

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
              --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "MarkH" <tornado186@...> wrote:

              > I don't know what a hornet is but I removed all the B&G antiques from our boat three years ago. Perhaps I have spare stuff. Can you send a PM? I can send photos.

              Hi mark,

              Thanks for your response. My nic 35 was built in 1978 and the name on the b & g panel says Mark 4 Hornet so that would indicate the model/year.

              If you could send me photographs to my email at doncleland@... I would be grateful.

              Thanks,
              Don
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
                Don,

                Having done a little poking around on the 'net, it looks very much like the B&G Hornet uses the same speed transducer as the old Datamarine instruments, and at the very least the paddle wheel is the same.  Spares for Datamarine are available through dmimarine.com.  Take a look at their SX-120 speed transducer - it's a two-wire system just like the Hornet 4.

                I think you're pretty much outta luck as far as the wind transducer is concerned.  You might care to check the mast wiring as many faults can be attributed to corrosion at the mast junction, but beyond that spares are no longer available.  Perhaps Tinley might be a good option as suggested by others.

                Graham