316 (A4) Stainless UNC Machine Screws

  • roryrickard
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
      Could those kind forum members from across the pond help me with a finding a good US (online?) source for A4 Stainless Steel fasteners? Specifically 1/4" UNC csk hex? Finding non-metric fasteners in A4 grade is proving difficult in the UK!
    • sidmcdonough@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
        The bolt depot or Jamestown supply should be able to help you. I'm sure you can google their addresses. If they can't help try McMaster-Carr.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Mar 20, 2013, at 6:01 PM, "roryrickard" <roryrickard@...> wrote:

        Could those kind forum members from across the pond help me with a finding a good US (online?) source for A4 Stainless Steel fasteners? Specifically 1/4" UNC csk hex? Finding non-metric fasteners in A4 grade is proving difficult in the UK!

      • slowandrusty
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
          sorry, late to the party... Difficulty signing in. these guys are great, actually make the stuff......Metric & Multistandard Components Corporation. 120 Old Saw Mill River Rd, Hawthorne, ny USA (888) 966-MMCC or email: sales@...
          they are located about 15 min from me and are great with small orders.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
            Google seems to think grade A4 is also known as 316L, which is the low carbon version of 316 selected when you want to weld on it.  I'm not sure I've ever seen machine screws made specifically in 316L?  Most are simply sold as 316 or 18-8.

            Might I inquire the purpose of the bolt?  If you just need a few general purpose 1/4-20 flat head screws made of 316 I'd be happy to send some your way.

            Graham

            On 03/20/2013 6:01 PM, roryrickard wrote:

            Could those kind forum members from across the pond help me with a finding a good US (online?) source for A4 Stainless Steel fasteners? Specifically 1/4" UNC csk hex? Finding non-metric fasteners in A4 grade is proving difficult in the UK!

          • Rory Rickard
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
              Thanks Graham, they're to reattach my halyard winch to the mast. Csk needed to keep the heads flush, and I want to use hex as I need to be able to get them off again to service the winch. I had to remove the previous slot head screws with an impact driver and I don't want to have to do that again. I'm not sure that it had ever been off in 40 years.

              Many thanks for your offer, however.

              And many thanks to all respondents. Exceedingly useful!

              Rory
              ---
              Rory Rickard, PhD, FRCS(Plast)
              Consultant Plastic Surgeon
              -
              Sent from my mobile phone

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
                Are these what you're looking for?
                http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-head-socket-head-cap-screws/=lz2f8f

                Whatever screws you end up selecting should definitely be coated with Tef-Gel prior to installation if you ever want to remove them again.

                Graham