Re: Neco Auto Pilot NM 692

  • MarkH
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2013
      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "mcverlaque" <mcverlaque@...> wrote:

      > I am overhauling our Neco auto pilot and changing the gear oil. Manual recommends Castrol Magna without any specifications. Any suggestions for an oil readily available in the US? Thanks, Christian, S/V I Wanda

      Castrol Magna IS the specification. If you down't find it locally outright, look up any local lubricaton supplier. (not an auto parts store). A good supplier can cross-reference this for you. Magna is a circulating lubrication oil with high capability for water seperation. It has low Stick/Slip characteristics. This means that for parts that stop/start/change directions the break away friction is close to the running friction. The only question is the oil weight. The second link discusses this. There are three wights; GC 32, BD 68 and CF 220. You could probably use other oils but your operation may not be as nice.

      http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_advantage/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/c/circulating_oils.pdf

      http://www.castrol.com.ua/catalog/Magna%20BD68,%20CF220,%20GC32.pdf