Re: Mainsheet system

  • MarkH
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19, 2013
      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, JOHN LARSON wrote:

      > Graham,
      >
      > Do you have any photos of the mainsheet system you describe? If so, could you post them.
      >
      > Thanks,

      It may not be of interest but here is ours. Camper 58. The photo shows the ondeck rigging and traveler. The fixed and running ends are always port & starboard whild the traveler is moved by the traveler winch. The running end of the main sheet passes under the dodger to the mainsheet winch. In moderate wind the winch is not necessary.

      My photos under ROXY.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
        I can't seem to find a photo of the mainsheet system in my archive, but it was quite similar to the "Harken 4:1/16:1 Gross/Fine Tune Mainsheet System" which you can find on this page: http://www.apsltd.com/c-643-mainsheetsystems.aspx

        My "fine" system used fairly small blocks and a light spectra line, somewhat similar to what you might find in use as a vang system on a J22/J24, Shields or similar small keelboat.  The "gross" system was made from regular sized blocks and 7/16" double braid.

        Graham

        On 1/19/2013 3:17 PM, JOHN LARSON wrote:

        Graham,

        Do you have any photos of the mainsheet system you describe?  If so, could you post them.

        Thanks,

      • JOHN LARSON
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2013
          Thanks Graham.

          John

          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
            Graham:

              Thanks for the advice. I'm going with the Harken 4:1/16:1 set-up to which you linked.

            Thanks also to everyone else who shared their thoughts. This is a great forum.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
              The trick is to make sure you leave the fine adjustment somewhere near the middle of it's range so you can go both out and in without two-blocking or running out of line!
              Graham