Re: Planning a Web-Site

  • John Larson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 1999
      How about a list of all the Nic 35's built and info on the ones we know about. Also how about the spec's. for the different years. I know the mast height changed, the engine changed and the transmition changed.

      We have a mark five color brochure which could be scanned in, if you don't have one already.

      You could include the Practical Sailor review if they agree. I also have an article from a british sailing magazine which deals with the Nic 35, and a review from somewhere else, I can't remember where, which is interesting and which I would gladly share.

      I'me still looking for info on wind chargers. Doesn't anyone out there have one?
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 1999
        I have a fixed, pole mount Windbugger on the stern of my Nic 31 which I have used successfully for 10 years including
        lots of months in the trade winds. In trying to determine which generator to use, you really need to decide what the primary use of the generator
        will be. If it is just for topping up batteries and not for serious, live aboard charging, you might get by with one of the smaller blade diameter
        wind generators. The output of wind generators is pretty much proportional to the blade diameter. Most of the cruisers on small
        boats who were running 12 volt fridges, using ssb's and using lots of amps had either Windbuggers or Four Winds chargers as these actually
        put out some real amperage in circumstances where batteries are being pushed pretty hard. Some liked the four winds because of the centrifugal air brake
        which slows the generator in winds over 25-30 knots; while other removed the air brake because of excess vibration and balance problems.
        My older single wood prop windbugger has worked well; the noise is not too bad. It is easy to get used to a little noise and cold food,etc. I have to manually stop mine above 25 knots to avoid cooking the generator. The newer, 3 blade windbuggers will work up to 35 knots I think. Both have a centrifugal clutch which keeps them from over-revving in high winds while you shut them down. I often stopped mine if I was leaving the boat for several hours just to avoid any problems with squalls, etc.

        The smaller diameter generators can take a lot more wind and still keep charging; this isn't really as important as the higher output from larger generators.
        Most of the time , the winds are below 20-30 knots in the Caribbean. Small amps of output an hour from a small generator at 15-18 knots wind speed ( typical in anchorages) just won't keep up with electrical demands. Let me know if you have any more questions.
        Harrison

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 1999
          Gang,
          By some cosmic coincidence, I work for a prepress company and might be able to get this stuff all scanned. What format and what resolution should we go for. I will check with our webmaster and get some tech stuff from him
          Dennis Gibbons
          dennis-gibbons@...