Rudder Putty

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hi

      we are doing repairs on the rudder on our N39 and found the bolts embedded in some sort of putty. Here's the pic:

      Any idea what the putty is when we replace it?

      Also... are the bolts into a metal plate in the skeg or just fibre-glass? The previous owner said just firbreglass, but I cannot believe that...

      Richard
    • JOHN LARSON
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
        Richard,

        When we removed  the bottom bearing casting which supports the rudder on our Nic 35 the bolt heads were covered with what looked and felt  like gel coat.  I used a hammer and a screwdriver to break  it away so the bolts  could be removed.  In our case, the bolts seemed to be threaded into the  fiberglass with no bronze nut visible.

        I think there should be some pictures of it in the Passport picture file on the Nic site.

        John
        CN 35-85, Passport

        To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
          Hi Richard,

          We did the rudder job a few years back and found that the threads were stripped so we put fiberglass putty into the hole, redrilled and retapped them. Bolted and then covered the bolt heads with polyester putty.

          Cheers

          Ansley Sawyer
          SV Pacem
          CN 39 CC Ketch # 14