Re: Engine removal and refit for Nic 35

  • johnbaillie@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
      Hi Roger,

      I changed my Watermota Seapanther to a BetaMarine 35 in early 2009 and had a lot of correspondence with Simon when he changed his engine last winter.

      You can find the photos I posted in the album, 'Amaryllis BetaMarine 35'.

      You seem to have had plenty of advice about getting engines out. I didn't see how mine was removed so can't add to that.

      BetaMarine will want dimensions for the old engine and hull mounting configurations to make feet for the new engine mountings. You will also need to order a shallow oil sump.

      BetaMarine had cleaned, painted, lined up and fixed my existing Hurth V-drive to the new engine. Perhaps they would do the same for your hydraulic drive.

      The guys in the yard found supporting the unit a sufficient problem to need to cut an access hatch in the cockpit floor while lining up the engine mountings and the prop shaft coupling. Simon didn't record the need to do this. Maybe yard access to my boat was more difficult. I'm guessing that with a hydraulic drive you will have more freedom for positioning and lining up.

      If I remember correctly, the 35HP and 43HP engines have the same dimensions, just different running speeds and turndown ratios.

      Good luck,

      John Baillie

      Amaryllis Nic 35#165