Re: [campernicholson] Re: Investing in good life - the Nicholson feeling. How about the rest of you?

  • Gary Noble
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 102 KB
    Hi Torbjorn,
    We have been owners of one of the smallest Nicholsons in the group, a Nicholson 30 which is now 38 years old but in pristine condition.  She cleans up well and gets comments. Most local yachts of the same year are way passed their prime. The quality of the of the boat was leaps above the local production boats; rigging, quality of of finish both inside and out. Whakarra (meaning rising of the wind) has great proven a great sailer due to her IOR roots (Half Tonner). She is a train to windward. The only drawback is her mast is just a bit short for the area ( Gulf Islands in British Columbia, Canada ) which is more like a lake rather than open ocean but when there is a blow she is  more than confident and makes us feel safe.
    Gary and Sandy Noble - noble.gary@...

    Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2012
      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Gary Noble <noble.gary@...> wrote:

      > Hi Torbjorn,
      > We have been owners of one of the smallest Nicholsons in the group, a Nicholson 30 which is now 38 years old but in pristine condition.  She cleans up well and gets comments. Most local yachts of the same year are way passed their prime. The quality of the of the boat was leaps above the local production boats; rigging, quality of of finish both inside and out. Whakarra (meaning rising of the wind) has great proven a great sailer due to her IOR roots (Half Tonner). She is a train to windward. The only drawback is her mast is just a bit short for the area ( Gulf Islands in British Columbia, Canada ) which is more like a lake rather than open ocean but when there is a blow she is  more than confident and makes us feel safe.
      > Gary and Sandy Noble - noble.gary@...

      We probably have the largest CN in the group; ROXY, USCG No. 668283; 1984 58 foot ketch; 55,000 disp. It totally turns heads wherever we go. It gets the old-timers off their deck chairs to check us out when visiting other marinas. The interior and wood trim is fantastic. It is also impressively fast under sail. We easily make 10 knots cracked off a few degrees and the sight of us on a beam reach with A-S kite, #1, cutter staysail, main, mizzen staysail, and mizzen all flying at once brings the cameras on deck.