RE: [campernicholson] Marinas on Lake Ontario...

  • Katie and Simon
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12, 2012
      Hi John,

      We left our new boat, Briscola, at Shumway Marine in Rochester over the winter of 2010/11, and we were very happy with the service they provided.  Like you, we had just exited the canal at Oswego and needed a secure spot for the winter.  Let us know if you need more info.

      Katie & Simon
      s/v Briscola (Norseman 400)

      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: jsl-sll@...
      Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 14:57:27 +0000
      Subject: [campernicholson] Marinas on Lake Ontario...

      We plan to take Passport from Virginia to Lake Ontario this summer. Can anyone recommend a good marina on Lake Ontario where we could store our boat for the next winter?

      We'll be heading from Virginia to New York City, then up the Hudson and into the Erie canal. From the Erie Canal, we enter the Oswego Canal which takes us to the lake. We would like to find a marina somewhere between Rochester NY and the Thousand Islands area.

      John Larson
      s/v Passport, CN 35-85

    • JOHN LARSON
      Message 2 of 10 , May 13, 2012
        Hi Katie and Simon,

        Thanks for the marina info.  It sounds like a good choice.

        We're looking forward to the trip.   Very different than the Florida, Chesapeake, Maine sailing we've been doing.   What did you think  of it.  Any problems we should know of before leaving?

        Thanks,

        John and Sandy
        s/v Passport
        CN 35-85
      • peterwalzer3@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2012

          You may want to check out "activecaptain.com" for marina information. I have found the site most interesting and accurate, an online cruising guide.

          Peter

          CN39

          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2012
            Thanks Peter, I will.

            John Larson,
            CN 35-85, Passport

            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
            From: peterwalzer3@...
            Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:54:14 +0000

            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2012
              I thought to chime in. I think that Schumway Marine is on the Genesee
              river?? There was a small marina and Travelift haulout nearby called
              Voyager Boat Sales. This was/is an informal yard with storage and some
              services. This was 5+ years ago. I kept a 26' sailboat there for several
              years and had no problems. The Genesee Yacht Club is adjacent to Voyager
              Boat Sales. There was some large ship/barge traffic to an upriver cement
              plant that you had to work around.
              There was a grocery store, bar and some small restaurants about 2 blocks
              away from the marina.
              Also remember that Rochester can get lake effect snow storms that can dump
              a couple of feet of snow in one winter storm!
              For a kick, try the Harbor Town Belle (harbortownbelle.com) cruise.

              -Jim Waldram
              s/v Ronnie, CN 35 #98

              On Mon, 14 May 2012, JOHN LARSON wrote:

              > Thanks Peter, I will.
              >
              > John Larson,
              > CN 35-85, Passport
              >
              > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
              > From: peterwalzer3@...
              > Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:54:14 +0000
              > Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Marinas on Lake Ontario...
              >
              > You may want to check out "activecaptain.com" for marina information. I have found the site most interesting and accurate, an online cruising guide.
              >
              > Peter
              > CN39

            • JOHN LARSON
              Message 6 of 10 , May 16, 2012
                Thanks for the marina info, Jim.  We'll check it out.

                John Larson

              • slowandrusty
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2012
                  Greetings John,

                  My first post and still getting used to the forum concept so bear with me. Cant help w Lake Ontario but if you need assistance or reccomendations when cruising up the the southern portion of the Hudson, feel free to reach out to me. I grew up around here and keep my 303 in Croton-on-Hudson (about 25 mi. north of NY city).

                  Best,
                  Jon

                  --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "J. Waldram" <jwaldram@...> wrote:

                  > I thought to chime in. I think that Schumway Marine is on the Genesee
                  > river?? There was a small marina and Travelift haulout nearby called
                  > Voyager Boat Sales. This was/is an informal yard with storage and some
                  > services. This was 5+ years ago. I kept a 26' sailboat there for several
                  > years and had no problems. The Genesee Yacht Club is adjacent to Voyager
                  > Boat Sales. There was some large ship/barge traffic to an upriver cement
                  > plant that you had to work around.
                  > There was a grocery store, bar and some small restaurants about 2 blocks
                  > away from the marina.
                  > Also remember that Rochester can get lake effect snow storms that can dump
                  > a couple of feet of snow in one winter storm!
                  > For a kick, try the Harbor Town Belle (harbortownbelle.com) cruise.
                  >
                  > -Jim Waldram
                  > s/v Ronnie, CN 35 #98
                  >
                  > On Mon, 14 May 2012, JOHN LARSON wrote:
                  >

                  > > Thanks Peter, I will.
                  > >
                  > > John Larson,
                  > > CN 35-85, Passport
                  > >
                  > > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                  > > From: peterwalzer3@...
                  > > Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:54:14 +0000
                  > > Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Marinas on Lake Ontario...
                  > >
                  > > You may want to check out "activecaptain.com" for marina information. I have found the site most interesting and accurate, an online cruising guide.
                  > >
                  > > Peter
                  > > CN39

                • JOHN LARSON
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2012
                    Jon,
                    Thanks for the offer.  We're about to leave Jennings Boatyard in Virginia, and begin cruising north.  Unfortunatley, we don't have e-mail on the boat, and probably will be out of touch unless we find a library along the way.

                    John

                    To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jon@...
                    Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:46:04 +0000
                    Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Marinas on Lake Ontario...

                    Greetings John,

                    My first post and still getting used to the forum concept so bear with me. Cant help w Lake Ontario but if you need assistance or reccomendations when cruising up the the southern portion of the Hudson, feel free to reach out to me. I grew up around here and keep my 303 in Croton-on-Hudson (about 25 mi. north of NY city).

                    Best,
                    Jon

                    --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "J. Waldram" <jwaldram@...> wrote:

                    > I thought to chime in. I think that Schumway Marine is on the Genesee
                    > river?? There was a small marina and Travelift haulout nearby called
                    > Voyager Boat Sales. This was/is an informal yard with storage and some
                    > services. This was 5+ years ago. I kept a 26' sailboat there for several
                    > years and had no problems. The Genesee Yacht Club is adjacent to Voyager
                    > Boat Sales. There was some large ship/barge traffic to an upriver cement
                    > plant that you had to work around.
                    > There was a grocery store, bar and some small restaurants about 2 blocks
                    > away from the marina.
                    > Also remember that Rochester can get lake effect snow storms that can dump
                    > a couple of feet of snow in one winter storm!
                    > For a kick, try the Harbor Town Belle (harbortownbelle.com) cruise.
                    >
                    > -Jim Waldram
                    > s/v Ronnie, CN 35 #98
                    >
                    > On Mon, 14 May 2012, JOHN LARSON wrote:
                    >

                    > > Thanks Peter, I will.
                    > >
                    > > John Larson,
                    > > CN 35-85, Passport
                    > >
                    > > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                    > > From: peterwalzer3@...
                    > > Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:54:14 +0000
                    > > Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Marinas on Lake Ontario...
                    > >
                    > > You may want to check out "activecaptain.com" for marina information. I have found the site most interesting and accurate, an online cruising guide.
                    > >
                    > > Peter
                    > > CN39

                  • Charles Popenoe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 19, 2012

                      John,

                      Your trip sounds wonderful!  We keep our CN38 in Solomons on the Chesapeake.   I have sailed her as far north as Cape Cod (many years ago).  But all the way to the Great Lakes through the Erie Canal?  I am envying your opportunity!  Please keep us abreast of your progress.

                      Charles

                      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jon@...
                      Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:46:04 +0000