Re: New mast for "Andromeda" Mk V 1980 Nic 35

  • MarkH
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
      Our masts on the CN 58 ketch - same year was pretty crappy looking when we bought. I spent a fall - spring and part of the winter with bost masts inside and all parts removed. We totaly sanded out all bad paint and re-tapped a lot of holes oversized, replaced pop rivets. Really bad spots can be filled by a good welder with a heliarc. We finished with Perfection top paint.

      If it is truely beyond this, look around the yards. Our yard in Michigan has many masts and sections they use, cut down, modify, splint. You might find a good used stick in your area that can be made to fit.
    • alveng
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2012
        Hello Jorgen!
        I have replacet the mast at Peldon Rose, 1973 Nic35. I have som advice to you about that. :-)
        Our yachts has the capabillity to sail a lot better, the rigging in the 70's was very careful, most cruisers can take a lot more sail in any winds.
        I got a sailmaker in Norway (Doyle sails) to design a new rig to my boat. It is 150 cm higher than the old one. Selden did the production, and I choosed to get a slim mast with mainsail furling. That is possible if You choose classic sails with a good quality. I did get me new sails at the same time, and I dont regret it at all. I have the drawing of the new rig, with measurements if You are interested. I think also that Selden Mast have the spesifications of my mast.
        Please let me know, and I can send it to you. There are some pictures also in here, I think the albums called Peldon Rose.
        If you want more information, please mail me at torbjorn.alveng@...
        Good luck!

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "jveslov" <jveslov@...> wrote:

        > After 32 Years "Andromeda"'s mast has started to show defects which may or may not be possible to repair long term. In short she need a new mast.
        >
        > Recommendation, ideas, stay clear for a replacement mast - all comments appreciated.
        >
        > "Andromeda" will be sailing to the Baltic and back to UK this summer.
        >
        > Thank you and wish you all great sailing this summer.
        >
        > Jorgen

      • alveng
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2012
          I have uploaded the drawing of my new mast in a new folder under "files"
          Specs will arriwe later on!

          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "jveslov" <jveslov@...> wrote:

          > After 32 Years "Andromeda"'s mast has started to show defects which may or may not be possible to repair long term. In short she need a new mast.
          >
          > Recommendation, ideas, stay clear for a replacement mast - all comments appreciated.
          >
          > "Andromeda" will be sailing to the Baltic and back to UK this summer.
          >
          > Thank you and wish you all great sailing this summer.
          >
          > Jorgen

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2012
            What kind of defects are you seeing on the mast?

            Richard