Autopilots

  • robertlemmer@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 22, 2012
      Does anyone have any experience of using a modern autopilot with the earlier, smaller, rudder? We are thinking, (only thinking at the moment!), of trying to convert our tiller steering to wheel steering and haveing an autopilot fitted at the same time. We have a Simrad Tillerpilot at the moment; but in anything other than a relatively calm sea it does not react fast enough to the direction changes. We do not want to go down this somewhat expensive route only to find that the overall package does not do want we want; which is a bit more relaxation on longer shorthanded passages.

      Bob Lemmer
      Clara May 35/2
    • sidmcdonough
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 22, 2012
        We bought our 48 12 years ago and it had an AutoNav auto pilot. It has given us good service. The downside is dealing with AutoNav. When the brushes needed replacing it was like dealing with someone from another planet. The people who installed it (Camache Cove Marina in St. Augustine, Florida) no longer carry AutoNav because of servicing difficulties. Having said that, the only problem we ever had with it was the brushes in over 20000 miles of sailing.

        Sid McDonough,
        Whimsy, 48/3
      • JOHN LARSON
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22, 2012
          Bob;

          We have a  below decks autopilot  on  Passport, which is number 85 and has the small rudder.  It works very  well, steering a straighter course in  difficult sailing situations than either Sandy or I can.  I would recommend getting an autopilot with the gyro feature, even though it costs more.

          John Larson
          CN 35-85, Passport

        • Surg Cdr Rory Rickard RN
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012
            Bob, Don't do it. She is unique!

            ---
            Rory Rickard, PhD, FRCS(Plast)
            Consultant Plastic Surgeon
            -
            Sent from my mobile phone

            On 22 Apr 2012, at 17:35, "robertlemmer@..." <boblemmer@...> wrote:

            Does anyone have any experience of using a modern autopilot with the earlier, smaller, rudder? We are thinking, (only thinking at the moment!), of trying to convert our tiller steering to wheel steering and haveing an autopilot fitted at the same time. We have a Simrad Tillerpilot at the moment; but in anything other than a relatively calm sea it does not react fast enough to the direction changes. We do not want to go down this somewhat expensive route only to find that the overall package does not do want we want; which is a bit more relaxation on longer shorthanded passages.

            Bob Lemmer
            Clara May 35/2

          • bob lemmer
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012

              Sid

              Thanks for that.

              Regards

              Bob Lemmer

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012

                John

                That’s helpful.

                Regards

                Bob Lemmer

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012

                  Rory

                  Her uniqueness, or otherwise, is not at the forefront of our minds when grinding out a passage from Guernsey to St Mawes in filthy weather. The prospect of switching on the autopilot and getting at least some respite usually seems very appealing!

                  Regards

                  Bob Lemmer

                  Does anyone have any experience of using a modern autopilot with the earlier, smaller, rudder? We are thinking, (only thinking at the moment!), of trying to convert our tiller steering to wheel steering and haveing an autopilot fitted at the same time. We have a Simrad Tillerpilot at the moment; but in anything other than a relatively calm sea it does not react fast enough to the direction changes. We do not want to go down this somewhat expensive route only to find that the overall package does not do want we want; which is a bit more relaxation on longer shorthanded passages.

                  Bob Lemmer
                  Clara May 35/2

                • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012
                    Hi Bob,

                    Just a thought but there are plenty of tiller steered boats with powerful below deck pilots.

                    Is there any way that you could attach one? Is there any kind of fitting that could be attached to the stock to take the usual tiller arm/rudder ref?

                    We are wheel steered with a teleflex coupling from the quad to a neco motor in turn adapted to speak 21st century nmea to our raymarine pilot. It is brilliant.

                    Have a word with edson or similar to see what they could do before you go to the expense and aggravation of a wheel conversion.

                    Rgds

                    Colin

                    Trutz
                    Managing Director
                    Azure Consulting
                    68 King William Street
                    London
                    EC4N 7DZ

                    From: "bob lemmer" <boblemmer@...>
                    Sender: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:19:28 +0100
                    To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                  • Thomas J. Stanton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012

                      Colin,

                      I have a C&N 40ac.   It has a still functioning neco.  It is getting dementia, and wanders a bit, but it is strong as an ox, and I would like to do what you did.  I realize we have the pond between us, but do you know how your it was done or how your setup could be duplicated?

                      Tom Stanton

                      Discovery 40 ac

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012
                          Hi there,

                          We ripped out all of the neco stuff except the motor and coupling. The motor went to a firm in the UK called Greenham Regis and they adapted it by getting rid of all the old relays and replacing them with modern circuitry. The upshot is that it can now be mated to any type of modern pilot. We chose the raymarine (30 I believe) which is the more powerful version and can drive the neco motor no prob.

                          Installation of the pilot was straightforward from there on. We went one step further and got two nmea converters from tinley electronics here in the uk. These convert the analogue signal from our b&g hornet 4 and hecta so that it can be read by the new pilot. Very handy.

                          I can now navigate hands free to any bar or restaurant in the world I just have no money left when I get there.

                          Only joking, great system and worth the money.

                          Sean hunter at greenham regis installed it. He is a great guy and it was his advice not to rip out the neco and teleflex which saved us a lot of money.

                          Rgds

                          Colin
                          Managing Director
                          Azure Consulting
                          68 King William Street
                          London
                          EC4N 7DZ

                          Does anyone have any experience of using a modern autopilot with the earlier, smaller, rudder? We are thinking, (only thinking at the moment!), of trying to convert our tiller steering to wheel steering and haveing an autopilot fitted at the same time. We have a Simrad Tillerpilot at the moment; but in anything other than a relatively calm sea it does not react fast enough to the direction changes. We do not want to go down this somewhat expensive route only to find that the overall package does not do want we want; which is a bit more relaxation on longer shorthanded passages.

                          Bob Lemmer
                          Clara May 35/2

                        • Denece
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012
                            Have you considered a wind vane? We used ours in all sailable
                            conditions and it did a better job than either of us, in calms we had a
                            tiller pilot adaptor that took over.

                            Good to think outside the box sometimes.

                            Denece
                          • Andrew Joad
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 23, 2012
                              I fitted a Monitor windvane and it is brilliant. It's like having a tireless helmsman that never loses his concentration.
                              It steered us from New York to Eastbourne, UK via the Azores.
                              Andrew Joad North Star Nic 35 No 208

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 25, 2012
                                Hi Bob, just another thought on the autopilot issue. Have you thought of installing a wind vane?

                                With the tiller arrangement that you have it would work very well, better than with a wheel in fact.

                                We have a Sailomat 601 'Stan' which does an excellent job when the wind is sufficient to sail. It is also possible to hook up a small tiller pilot to it after removing the vane. This allows it to steer the boat well if downwind with low apparent wind or motoring in 'more sea than wind' conditions.

                                I know that other Nic 35 owners have had success with other models of vane. Monitor, Hydrovane, Aries etc.

                                The upsides are huge, not least the minimal or non existent power draw.

                                We use ours for longer passages, just the kind of thing you were mentioning actually.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Rgds

                                Colin
                                Managing Director