Anyone else with bad balsacore in the deck?

  • alveng
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2012
      I have replaced my deck on each side, 2/3 of the boats length.
      I have documented this with pictures and drawings if anyone is interested!
      I will put out an album soon.

      I have now s0pent more money on this boat than it would cost me to buy a brand new 40 feet sailing yacht....but who wants a brand new boat?

      Best regards

      Torbjorn Alveng, Peldon Rose.
    • bob lemmer
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2012

        Dear Torbjorn

        How did the delamination first show itself?

        Regards

        Bob Lemmer

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2012
          Bob,

          I can't answer for Torbjorn's specific symptoms, but extremely rotten core manifests itself as softness in the deck.   Typically this would result in visible movement when you walk on it, wobbly stanchion bases and compressed areas around deck hardware.  You can also detect it in it's earlier stages with a moisture meter and by sounding the area with a plastic mallet.  Normal areas make a crisp "doink" sound, whereas delaminated/soft spots respond with a dull "thud".

          Since it's water intrusion that causes core damage, always start looking for problems near deck hardware, especially aftermarket items added by someone that didn't take the time to reef out the core and back-fill with epoxy wherever fasteners were going to be installed.

          First order of business is to stop more water getting in, which means to rebed hardware and inject epoxy around fastener holes.  After that you can worry about replacing the deteriorated core, but unless you are doing it yourself, be prepared for sticker shock when asking boatyards to quote for professional repairs.

          Graham

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012

            Graham

            Thanks for that, I am pretty happy that we have no problems with Clara May; but when you see what Torbjorn has just gone through, it makes you think and look a bit keener!

            Regards

            Bob Lemmer

          • peterwalzer3@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012

              My 1976 cn39 had damage to the deck core from the handrail installed on the coach roof. I believe it was installed by Camper Nicholson. I came in from the underside and cut out much of the area near the sliding hatch. It was relatively easy to wedge glass and reinforcing plywood up to the underside of the deck. Over about 3 winters I replaced about 3 square feet of the original balsa core and underside skin. It was not expensive but it was very messy. Lots of grinding to first clean out old balsa, clean underside of deck then after glassing in new, clean up the underside of the skin.

              Peter

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
                Bob!
                I first noticed cracks on deck at the stays. I did not hear anything, or felt anything unusual walking on deck. There where no signs of delimitation at all. The boatbuilders did not have any answer to that than this: The Nic35 is extremely well built. The deck layers in themselves is enough to maintain stiffness. The balsa was rotten and wet. Some bad work in earlier years did the damage, and water was pouring in, down the inside of the hull. And with the winters in Norway, thats not a good thing to do for a GRP-boat....

                If you let a boatyard do the job - well, about 300.000 NOK, thats about 33.000 gbp for the job.
                I am now terrified with joy.......
                I'll keep you informed by new photos soon! See my album delimitation.
                If you have abby question, please ask me!
                regards
                Torbjørn

                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, peterwalzer3@... wrote:

                > My 1976 cn39 had damage to the deck core from the handrail installed on the coach roof. I believe it was installed by Camper Nicholson. I came in from the underside and cut out much of the area near the sliding hatch. It was relatively easy to wedge glass and reinforcing plywood up to the underside of the deck. Over about 3 winters I replaced about 3 square feet of the original balsa core and underside skin. It was not expensive but it was very messy. Lots of grinding to first clean out old balsa, clean underside of deck then after glassing in new, clean up the underside of the skin.
                >

                > Peter

              • DARRYL LARKIN
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
                  Hello Torbjørn,
                  Thank you for the photos and the wonderful information....a very personal account!! I have a Nic 32 that was built in Australia.....methinks there may be some deck problems like the ones that you discovered, but so wonderfully rectified...you have done us all a great service!
                  Where in the world do you hide?
                  I am in Brisbane Australia.
                  sincerely
                  Darryl

                  I first noticed cracks on deck at the stays. I did not hear anything, or felt anything unusual walking on deck. There where no signs of delimitation at all. The boatbuilders did not have any answer to that than this: The Nic35 is extremely well built. The deck layers in themselves is enough to maintain stiffness. The balsa was rotten and wet. Some bad work in earlier years did the damage, and water was pouring in, down the inside of the hull. And with the winters in Norway, thats not a good thing to do for a GRP-boat....

                  If you let a boatyard do the job - well, about 300.000 NOK, thats about 33.000 gbp for the job.
                  I am now terrified with joy.......
                  I'll keep you informed by new photos soon! See my album delimitation.
                  If you have abby question, please ask me!
                  regards
                  Torbjørn

                  --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, peterwalzer3@... wrote:

                  > My 1976 cn39 had damage to the deck core from the handrail installed on the coach roof. I believe it was installed by Camper Nicholson. I came in from the underside and cut out much of the area near the sliding hatch. It was relatively easy to wedge glass and reinforcing plywood up to the underside of the deck. Over about 3 winters I replaced about 3 square feet of the original balsa core and underside skin. It was not expensive but it was very messy. Lots of grinding to first clean out old balsa, clean underside of deck then after glassing in new, clean up the underside of the skin.
                  >

                  > Peter

                • MarkH
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
                    Ours is wet in a few selected spots. It is inevitable that wood trapped between layers of "waterproof materials" gets wet and can never dry. Its is why every foam or balsa core rudder is junk. I am in the midst of current repairs on this one. I invested in an ElectroPhysics moistrue meter. We took down the head liners and checked the deck from the inside. The way earlier replacement of the teak deck with GRP and non-skid left poor pacthes for the screw holes. These and other flaws let water in at several spots. It also turns out that the fillers used on deck hold water and give a false reading of water nearly everywhere. Using the meter inside showed the bad area was much smaller than indicated from outside. I used a hole saw to open a matrix of holes from the inside from which we dug out the failed balsa. I laminated a sheet of heavy fab-mat to the inside and then pumped a syntactic foam mix of epoxy and micro-baloons as filler. This is the same mix I used to mold a new rudder. It is totally waterproof forever and has a 3000 psi compressive strength. Rudder repair photos are here.

                    One thing I have learned doing these repairs - NEVER put back a system you yave seen fail before. I will never use foam core or balsa anywhere.
                  • alveng
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012
                      Darryl: My shelter is Norway... :-)