Re: [campernicholson] Re: Paint for Hulls

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2012
      Mark,

      You can certainly get away with applying more or less anything over AwlGrip so long as you have suitable expectations of end result.  For example, my old Nic35 once spent a rough night rubbing on a nail sticking out of a dock piling.  My "25yd repair" consisted of brush touchup with Interlux yacht enamel.  I certainly couldn't have got away with that approach if someone was paying me to do the job, but it worked fine for me given my time and budgetary constraints.

      If you want a well-blended repair you are pretty much have to spray it with the same product as originally used, and even then there are certain tricks of the trade to achieve good results without noticeable haloing.  The officially sanctioned method requires the use of blending reducers to thin the final coat so that you don't have to go over the repair with any abrasive compounds.  This type of repair is especially challenging if you're dealing with a very dark color or metallic finish that has been clear-coated.   I've seen it done well, but the hours involved can be depressing.

      A prospective customer would be well advised to request a fixed price quote for a job such as this, along with a defined set of goals for what would be considered an acceptable outcome.  By establishing the criteria up front there is less likelihood for mismatched expectations towards the end of the project.

      Graham

      On 02/16/2012 6:40 PM, MarkH wrote:

      Awl Grip is as you know, a two part system. That gives you some lattitude on fixes. You can apply about anything over it. Singel part paints limit you to single part repairs or the fix amy lift the substrate. That said, Awl Grip is known for being difficult to fix. You might actually ask your yard to quote you a 15-foot repair. (looks OK from 15 feet or more)

      I have had some success with Awl Grip repairs by dilluting it and applying many thin coats with a roller, sponge or fine brush. If your finish is scraped up you might use MarineTex wiped on with a plastic blade so No Sanding is required before painting. Good luck.