Re: Blasting off old Anti-fouling

  • svlevity
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
      Roger,

      We had Levity's hull soda-blasted a few years ago and it worked well but there are several things you should be aware of.

      Since Levity's hull below the waterline is not gelcoated, the soda blasting process caused minor pitting in the resin surface. The pitting was deep enough that it could not be masked by bottom painting alone.

      After the soda blasting was complete the hull was relatively clean but it still had traces of the old bottom paint. Some sources suggested just painting over this, others suggested cleaning first with scrub brushes, and others recommended sanding the entire surface. The soda blaster I used didn't think sanding was necessary but I machine sanded the entire surface with 80 grit sandpaper. This machine sanding did not remove the pitting by the way. This is why I recommmend that if you have the hull soda blasted, you should consider barrier-coating before bottom painting. I think that if the pitting is not barrier coated, there is the risk that it might lead to blistering in the future.

      If you want the details of the barrier coating procedure I used, just let me know and I will send.

      Steve Perry
      Levity CN35 #80

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
        The barrier coat also has the very useful side effect of providing excellent first coat bottom paint adhesion, assuming you follow the application directions correctly.  This may not be so important with a polyester hull since it sticks ok anyway, but it is key when painting over a vinylester resin if you don't want the paint to fall off during the first season of use.

        Graham