Need to replace the rudder post lower bearing

  • jparkerset@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2012
      Hello,

      I am looking for any information to remove the lower support on the skeg to rudder, to replace the worn bushing  / bearing so as to remove the play in the rudder.

      Thanks in Advance,

      John Parker
      CN35
      SEBASTIAN
      Los Angeles, Ca.

    • Jeffrey Moorman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2012
        Hi John,  The lower bearing  shoe is held on by 4 or 5 flat headed screws threaded into the fiberglass on either side. The screws are easy to find if you scrape off the bottom paint and any fairing material that may be in the slots or covering  the heads. Support the rudder as it will slide down and bind at the top. If you need to remove the rudder, first remove the quadrant and the packing gland compression ring and flax, this will allow sufficient play to allow the rudder to drop once you have removed the shoe.

        Jeff
        LaBoheme
        Nic 35 #39

        On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM, <jparkerset@...> wrote:

        Hello,

        I am looking for any information to remove the lower support on the skeg to rudder, to replace the worn bushing  / bearing so as to remove the play in the rudder.

        Thanks in Advance,

        John Parker
        CN35
        SEBASTIAN
        Los Angeles, Ca.

      • JOHN LARSON
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2012
          John

          If you look under the pictures of Passport on  the Nicholson site, you can see what  the whole thing looks like.  We  did  remove the bottom bearing  and had a bronze piece made to raise the rudder  just a little, as it was binding on the bottom bearing.

          John Larson
          CN 35-85

        • MarkH
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2012
            I think it sounds like your construction is very similar to our Camper 58. I just added photos showing the bottom bronze bracket. 5 flat head screws through the bottom of the skeg. the inside of the bracket - the cup - was willed with some filler unknown and cemented in place withthe screws. For ours, I had to apply a lot of heat to break the bond. I also made the tool shown in the photo. It is a plate with keystock welded on the side. This allowed me to apply a huge hammer blow to a wide part of the top edge. You may need a replacemnet bearing on the bottom pin. http://www.igus.com/default.asp?PAGE=IGLIDE&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gadUS49&c=US&L=en&gclid=CLiY1pWr2K0CFcfe4Aod_Wwbmw IGUS makes the sleeve bearings with and without flange in many materials. I paid 7 bucks for mine and it is 2-1/2 inch diameter.
          • cn35sloop
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2012
              Thanks Jeff,
              Any reason to work in the top end of the rudder? The packing gland is not leaking. How much time should I budget the removal and replacement, and do you recall the diameter of the shaft?

              John