Re: Re New Engine for Blue Nava

  • Don
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi John,

      It looks like I amy also be in the market for a new engine and was looking at the Betamarine (Kubuto) and do not find a 35 HP diesel engine. Can you please please confirm that it is 35 hp and also give me the model number.

      Any other information you can provide would be appreciated. My boat is in the US.

      Thanks,
      Don Cleland
      Saunterer 35/157

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaillie@..." <johnbaillie@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Simon,
      >
      > Been trying many times to send you this message, but the Yahoo Group gets hung up over BT's interchangeable btopenworld and btinternet email addresses.
      >

      > In the spring of 2009, my Watermota Seapanther seized up, fortunately during the spring checks and while still out the water. I replaced it with a Betamarine 35hp diesel. The guys in the yard sent the Hurth gearbox to Betamarine to connect it to the new engine, saving an alignment job in the yard. To help support it during installation and setting up the new engine mounts, the yard cut a 6" access hatch in the cockpit floor. I retained the old ammeter and fitted it to the new engine panel. Access to the engine parts is at least as good if not better than for the Seapanther. Oh, and you'll need to order the shallow oil sump.
      >

      > If you wish I can take a couple of photos of the engine and panel.
      >

      > I've been delighted with the performance of the engine. After a few seconds preheat it starts every time from cold and immediately when warm. It's given me the confidence of knowing I can rely on it if I get in a bind in the strong tides and currents on the west coast of Scotland and also last month in the maze of skerries, rocks and narrow channels along the south coast of Norway. It runs much more quietly than the old one and fuel economy is pretty good, particularly since I installed a Brunton Autoprop this spring.
      >

      > I can maintain ~6.5 kt at 1700 rpm in calm conditions.
      >

      > John Baillie
      >
      > Amaryllis, 35/165
      >
      > ***************************
      > 2 Kirkhill Dr.
      > Oldmeldrum
      > AB51 0FP
      > Scotland
      >
      > Tel: 01651 872827
      > Mobile: +44 (0) 7764 928 757 (John)
      >
      > http://www.btinternet.com/~johnbaillie/

    • simon allard
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi Don,

        I have been doing my homework as I will definately be fitting a new engine over the winter.
        Old Watermota is now out and I have a pretty good idea what I will be selecting.
        Do you have an email address I can correspond with you please ?

        Regards
        Simon
        Blue Nava 35/177

      • johnbaillie@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2011
          Hi Don,

          I do indeed have a 35HP Beta Marine, Beta 35, engine in Amaryllis (#165).

          You can find details at http://www.betamarine.co.uk/. I assume that you have been looking at www.betamarinenc.com/ which offers you only the Beta 30 or Beta 38.

          What I can find from the manufacturer's UK website is:
          * Beta Marine recommends a 35HP or 38HP engine for the Nic 35;
          * The 35 & 38HP engines both have the same block, cylinder capacity and stroke, etc., the latter running at higher revs to produce more power (different internal gearing?);
          * The different 35/38HP installation drawings on the website relate to different gearboxes. The engines are the same.

          I bought a "Bobtail", as Beta Marine fitted my old Hurth Vee drive to the new engine. I also needed a shallow sump and special feet.

          Perhaps you could discuss the matter with your US dealer to see if they can import a 35Hp or if there are options with the advertised 38HP.

          Hope it is not yet another case of, "what I really need is on the other side of the Atlantic".

          Good luck,

          John

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2011
            John,

            Thanks for the response and I now see that the 35 is only available in the UK. If both engines are same dimensions I should have no problem with installing the 38. I will also reuse the Hurth box so presume will need a mating flange made up to connect the Hurth to the new engine.

            Thanks,
            Don

          • jarvis.cribb@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2011

              John

              have you considered the Pathfinder(vw block) they are in Montreal. I got one for Spray 215 5 years ago and it is excellant. I also had them put on the reworked old hurth.

              Let me know if interested and I will send all details. Call me at 1-978-922-7325

              jarvis.cribb@...

> [...]

              > > > If you wish I can take a couple of photos of the engine and panel.
              > > >

              > > > I've been delighted with the performance of the engine. After a few seconds preheat it starts every time from cold and immediately when warm. It's given me the confidence of knowing I can rely on it if I get in a bind in the strong tides and currents on the west coast of Scotland and also last month in the maze of skerries, rocks and narrow channels along the south coast of Norway. It runs much more quietly than the old one and fuel economy is pretty good, particularly since I installed a Brunton Autoprop this spring.
              > > >

              > > > I can maintain ~6.5 kt  at 1700 rpm in calm conditions.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  campernicholson-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  campernicholson-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Don
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
                Jarvis,

                I will take a look at the Pathfinder if you can advise their website.

                Thanks,
                Don
                Saunterer

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
                    Hi Don,

                    I suspect that the 35 is also available elsewhere, if not in the US.

                    I'm not aware of the need for a mating flange as I sent the Hurth
                    gearbox to Beta Marine in Gloucester where they cleaned it, aligned and
                    fitted it to the engine and gave it a coat of paint; one less job to do
                    in the yard. There is no obvious mating flange on my engine.

                    Perhaps you could drop Beta Marine an email explaining your needs and
                    asking for advice. The engine was ordered and the gearbox sent to them
                    by Forbes Boat Care, Barcaldine in the spring of 2009. They may have a
                    record of fitting the gearbox to the engine.

                    I understand from my invoice and the drawings on Beta Marine's website
                    that a "Bobtail" is the engine alone, without one of the gearboxes that
                    they offer.

                    Happy hunting,

                  • Peter Jørgensen
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
                      Hi....
                      I installed a Yanmar 3JH4 with a SD50 saildrive in Addiena and have now sailed two years with this engine. I can´t tell about noise and vibrations with a axel but the engine itself is wery silence and because of the saildrive there is no vibrations at all (of course the is enginesound and you can fell the motor running) however these sounds is not at all to compare with the Watamota seapanther we had in Addiena before.

                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011

                        Don,

                        I have looked up my records and find it was 2003 when new engine. They came fron montreal and took my Pirana and as both where VW ,change over was easy.

                        with take off connections similar.

                        email is pathfinder@...

                        telephone 1-514-695-6676

                        price at that time was $7,900 for model 65MF=65hp then add your hurth tm

                        Good luck --it is only money

                      • William E. Roesner
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
                          Graham, et al,
                          I have a 30 year old Yanmar 3GMF installed when new in my Nic 31. Aside from minor service, fuel and oil filters, oil changes ( synthetic ),injector servicing, a new clutch plate and fresh water heat exchange element, it has been flawless. Maybe because I use it regularly and its thousands of hours.  I'm a believer.
                          Cheers,
                          Bill
                          CN 31-113
                          Blueprint

                          On 11/3/2011 5:39 AM, Don wrote:

                          Jarvis,

                          I will take a look at the Pathfinder if you can advise their website.

                          Thanks,
                          Don
                          Saunterer

                        • mcverlaque
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 4, 2011
                            We repowered with a Yanmar and it was the best decsion we have made in equipment for I Wanda. She is a 40, not a 35 but I would look at Yanmar for any re-powering. If it doesn't work you can look further afield.
                            Good Luck!
                            Mary

                            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:

                            > Not sure Pathfinder has a website. Seriously though, I would question
                            > whether they would be a viable choice due to limited parts availability
                            > compared with Beta, Westerbeke, Yanmar or any of the other mainstream
                            > marine engines.
                            >
                            > I don't think I've seen any mention of Yanmar yet in this thread. Not
                            > sure why, since they account for almost 90% of the new sailboat market.
                            > Have you considered the 3JH5E? It's rated for 39hp @ 3000rpm, which
                            > will be considerably smoother and quieter than the Beta 38, which
                            > delivers 38hp @ 3600rpm.
                            >
                            > Graham
                            >
                            > On 11/3/2011 5:39 AM, Don wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Jarvis,
                            > >
                            > > I will take a look at the Pathfinder if you can advise their website.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Don
                            > > Saunterer

                          • Denece Vincent
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 5, 2011
                              I would like to second the Yanmar ! Unfortunately we had an unplanned absence from the boat of about 2.5 years we are having problems getting it to run. It started but was not responsive to the throttle so we tturned it off. Now we can't get it restarted. Any advice?

                              Denece
                              Blue Pearl

                              Sent from my iPhone on the rare day that feature worked!
                            • William E. Roesner
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2011
                                Denece,
                                First try bleeding air at the injectors. Open the top of the first one , crank it over till you get solid fuel, tighten it down and go to the next one.
                                Bill
                                Blueprint

                                On Nov 5, 2011, at 7:04 PM, Denece Vincent wrote:

                                I would like to second the Yanmar ! Unfortunately we had an unplanned absence from the boat of about 2.5 years we are having problems getting it to run. It started but was not responsive to the throttle so we tturned it off. Now we can't get it restarted. Any advice?

                                Denece
                                Blue Pearl

                                Sent from my iPhone on the rare day that feature worked!

                              • JOHN LARSON
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 5, 2011

                                  It sounds like either water in the fuel tank which  leads to algae growth which then plugs the filter.  We had it happen on Passport under similar circumstances and it took two filters and one emergency anchoring  to finally get it cleaned out.

                                  John Larson
                                  s/v Passport, CN 35 #85

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                                      Thanks, Graham

                                      It's been bled as suggested. Volume seems low. Which could be related to throttle issue we noticed when attempting to start ie: moving up the throttle did not advance RPMs as it should
                                      Our marina expert says one problem is that the 3J series Yanmar has been so reliable that nobody has had a chance to work on one yet
                                      The mechanic will be here tomorrow hopefully he will be able to sort her out quickly. He also said it sounded like throttle issue. I'll let the group know what I find out

                                      Thanks

                                      Denece

                                      Sent from my iPhone on the rare day that feature worked!
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                                        I suppose it's possible for stuck weights in the governor to prevent the fuel rack opening fully., but that would be quite unusual.
                                        Have you tried running the engine direct from a jerry jug of fuel to eliminate any problem with the boat's plumbing?
                                        The current generation 3JH5 have electric lift pumps, but I think earlier 3JH4 were still manual.  Might be worth checking the lift pump too, since lack of rpm (with no black smoke) generally indicates fuel starvation of some sort.

                                        Graham

                                        On 11/7/2011 11:08 AM, Denece Vincent wrote:

                                        Thanks, Graham

                                        It's been bled as suggested. Volume seems low. Which could be related to throttle issue we noticed when attempting to start ie: moving up the throttle did not advance RPMs as it should
                                        Our marina expert says one problem is that the 3J series Yanmar has been so reliable that nobody has had a chance to work on one yet
                                        The mechanic will be here tomorrow hopefully he will be able to sort her out quickly. He also said it sounded like throttle issue. I'll let the group know what I find out

                                        Thanks

                                        Denece

                                        Sent from my iPhone on the rare day that feature worked!

                                      • blue.nava
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 25, 2013

                                          Hi Don,

                                          Hope your sailing is going well.

                                          I wonder if you could supply me an email address please(I have lost yours) such that we can discuss an issue away from this site.

                                          Many thanks

                                          Simon

                                          Blue Nava 35/177

                                          ---In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                          Hi John,

                                          It looks like I amy also be in the market for a new engine and was looking at the Betamarine (Kubuto) and do not find a 35 HP diesel engine. Can you please please confirm that it is 35 hp and also give me the model number.

                                          Any other information you can provide would be appreciated. My boat is in the US.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Don Cleland
                                          Saunterer 35/157

                                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaillie@..." <johnbaillie@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi, Simon,
                                          >
                                          > Been trying many times to send you this message, but the Yahoo Group gets hung up over BT's interchangeable btopenworld and btinternet email addresses.
                                          >

                                          > In the spring of 2009, my Watermota Seapanther seized up, fortunately during the spring checks and while still out the water. I replaced it with a Betamarine 35hp diesel. The guys in the yard sent the Hurth gearbox to Betamarine to connect it to the new engine, saving an alignment job in the yard. To help support it during installation and setting up the new engine mounts, the yard cut a 6" access hatch in the cockpit floor. I retained the old ammeter and fitted it to the new engine panel. Access to the engine parts is at least as good if not better than for the Seapanther. Oh, and you'll need to order the shallow oil sump.
                                          >

                                          > If you wish I can take a couple of photos of the engine and panel.
                                          >

                                          > I've been delighted with the performance of the engine. After a few seconds preheat it starts every time from cold and immediately when warm. It's given me the confidence of knowing I can rely on it if I get in a bind in the strong tides and currents on the west coast of Scotland and also last month in the maze of skerries, rocks and narrow channels along the south coast of Norway. It runs much more quietly than the old one and fuel economy is pretty good, particularly since I installed a Brunton Autoprop this spring.
                                          >

                                          > I can maintain ~6.5 kt at 1700 rpm in calm conditions.
                                          >

                                          > John Baillie
                                          >
                                          > Amaryllis, 35/165
                                          >
                                          > ***************************
                                          > 2 Kirkhill Dr.
                                          > Oldmeldrum
                                          > AB51 0FP
                                          > Scotland
                                          >
                                          > Tel: 01651 872827
                                          > Mobile: +44 (0) 7764 928 757 (John)
                                          >
                                          > http://www.btinternet.com/~johnbaillie/

                                        • ralpharnesen
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 25, 2013
                                            Dear Don and Simon,

                                            I have a Beta 1505 which I think is a 37.5 HP in Argonaut. I installed it a few years ago and have had very good service from it. Only problem I have had with it is when I have gotten dirty fuel and diesel algea. When this has happened the fuel pump had to be overhauled about 6 weeks later when the pump goes full open and RPM at the top. Only way to stop the engine is to strangle it with a rag in the air intake, neither stop, electric or manual will work. There is a lot of black smoke.
                                            Otherwise, it is driving the hydraulic pump and a 15/9 prop.

                                            Ralph
                                            Argonaut of Rhu
                                            I wonder if you could supply me an email address please(I have lost yours) such that we can discuss an issue away from this site.

                                            Many thanks
                                            Simon

                                            Blue Nava 35/177

                                            ---In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                            Hi John,

                                            It looks like I amy also be in the market for a new engine and was looking at the Betamarine (Kubuto) and do not find a 35 HP diesel engine. Can you please please confirm that it is 35 hp and also give me the model number.

                                            Any other information you can provide would be appreciated. My boat is in the US.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Don Cleland
                                            Saunterer 35/157

                                            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "johnbaillie@..." <johnbaillie@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi, Simon,
                                            >
                                            > Been trying many times to send you this message, but the Yahoo Group gets hung up over BT's interchangeable btopenworld and btinternet email addresses.
                                            >

                                            > In the spring of 2009, my Watermota Seapanther seized up, fortunately during the spring checks and while still out the water. I replaced it with a Betamarine 35hp diesel. The guys in the yard sent the Hurth gearbox to Betamarine to connect it to the new engine, saving an alignment job in the yard. To help support it during installation and setting up the new engine mounts, the yard cut a 6" access hatch in the cockpit floor. I retained the old ammeter and fitted it to the new engine panel. Access to the engine parts is at least as good if not better than for the Seapanther. Oh, and you'll need to order the shallow oil sump.
                                            >

                                            > If you wish I can take a couple of photos of the engine and panel.
                                            >

                                            > I've been delighted with the performance of the engine. After a few seconds preheat it starts every time from cold and immediately when warm. It's given me the confidence of knowing I can rely on it if I get in a bind in the strong tides and currents on the west coast of Scotland and also last month in the maze of skerries, rocks and narrow channels along the south coast of Norway. It runs much more quietly than the old one and fuel economy is pretty good, particularly since I installed a Brunton Autoprop this spring.
                                            >

                                            > I can maintain ~6.5 kt at 1700 rpm in calm conditions.
                                            >

                                            > John Baillie
                                            >
                                            > Amaryllis, 35/165
                                            >
                                            > ***************************
                                            > 2 Kirkhill Dr.
                                            > Oldmeldrum
                                            > AB51 0FP
                                            > Scotland
                                            >
                                            > Tel: 01651 872827
                                            > Mobile: +44 (0) 7764 928 757 (John)
                                            >
                                            > http://www.btinternet.com/~johnbaillie/

                                          • Jeff Moorman

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                                                Hi Jeff,

                                                No it was fuel the first time and water in the oil second time. I had to dump a whole tank of fuel as it contained a lot of water, first delivery of the year from a Greek tanker. Second time I believe was caused by a Turk putting the boat back in the water at a very high angle so that water came into the exhaust. Both times the fuel pump got stuck in wide open. Since then I have not had a problem.

                                                Ralph