Nic 35 chainplates

  • Stephen Elphick
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
      I am seriously considering a Nic35, but have been told by a surveyor that there are known issues with chainplates or chainplate supports in these poats. I would be grateful for advice, and what to look for when viewing. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2011
        While it's true the Nic35 chainplates are less than optimally designed (i.e. hoops attached to the deck rather than bar stock bolted to a bulkhead or the hull) I am not aware of any incidents when they have catastrophically failed.   When I owned my Nic35 the biggest problem I noted was separation of the main bulkhead tabbing from the hull.  This allowed the deck to lift slightly under rig tension, which meant I was never able get the turnbuckles as tight as I wanted.

        My solution was to mount an eye on the underside of the cap shroud backing plates, and then mount a corresponding u-bolt through the main bulkhead to accept a turnbuckle.  Adjusting this allowed me to adequately tune the rig without stressing the deck.  Once everything had settled for a few days I got out the fiberglass cloth and seriously beefed up the tabbing between the bulkhead, hull and deck.

        Although I don't wish to get into a long explanation, I can say my chainplate reinforcements were strong enough for the rig to survive not only an 18 hour beating on a reef in the San Blas islands, but subsequently having a line attached to the top of the mast so the whole boat could be recovered from the ocean floor 160' below, back to the surface.  As you might imagine, the boat looked rather battered, but the rig was still upright!   Strong enough for you?

        Graham

        On 08/19/2011 8:06 PM, Stephen Elphick wrote:

        I am seriously considering a Nic35, but have been told by a surveyor that there are known issues with chainplates or chainplate supports in these poats. I would be grateful for advice, and what to look for when viewing. Thanks.

      • john dean
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2011
          My Nic32 cera 1969 uses bent round bar chain plates 20 years ago I removed all and found no corrosion just below the deck level but they worry me so I had built a complete set of conventional bar chain plates for the upper and lower shrouds. The back stay, for stay and inner stay are original bar stock. So buy something like a dental pick an quickly dig under the sealant layer and look for porosity or cracks,
          good Luck