Water leak

  • taylormickie1934
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 7:12 AM
      I have just bought a Nicholson 35 it is Bluedays a 1983 boat from Dover and I sailed it up to Scotland alone on the way it shredded 5 fan belts. But my main problem at the moment is water is leaking from just in front of the gearbox very badly has anyone had this problem can I lift the boat out of the water and replace the stern gland or cutlass bearing at the prop end or will the engine have to be lifted out to get at the gear box end stern gland I don't know how this system works as I have had snuffing boxes on passed boats. has any one a drawing of the arrangement? My other problem is the engine starts but dies immediately the fuel filters are clean but the filter is only half full of diesel so I suspect the fuel pump, Is the Injector pump the fuel pump also. and may be this points to the belt shredding if the engine is starved of fuel? Thank you for any help given Gordon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6 2:13 PM
        Gordon,

        What engine and transmission?  I'm guessing due to the year, we may be talking about a VW Piranha with a Hurth HBW150 v-drive?

        Assuming the above, the shaft can be withdrawn into the interior of the boat through the hole in the transmission.  This will allow you to work on the stuffing box, albeit still being rather hard to see and touch (at the same time) underneath the transmission.  Obviously you will need to be out of the water, with the prop and zinc removed first...

        Belt shredding is usually a sign of bad alternator alignment or belts that are too loose.  All the pulleys need to be parallel to each other and run in the same plane laterally.  Belts should be tensioned sufficiently to prevent you from turning the alternator fan by pushing on it (hard) with your thumb.

        The VW engine is self priming, so assuming you can deliver it diesel, it will purge itself of air and run.   Best guess here is either a clogged pickup tube, collapsed fuel line or (as you say) a bad lift pump.  Pull the supply line off at the pump and make sure you can draw fuel from the tank without undue resistance.

        Regards,
        Graham

[...]

      • bluedays209
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7 7:21 AM
          Hello Gordon

          Pleased to see you made it back to Ardrossan, my spies told me they had seen Blue days on the Clyde.

          Very sorry to hear you have problems with my old boat. The engine always behaved itself, performing without a missed beat including the trip from Whitehaven involving a lot of motoring due to lack of wind.

          Before you lift her can I suggest you inspect the water pump, best seen from the hatch in the quarter berth.

          I also experienced a slight leak which resulted in water collecting in the sump under the gearbox and like you I suspected a leak from the stern bearing.

          At that time I had the engine inspected by a local engineer who gave it the all clear but he did locate a leak coming from the water pump which had found its way to under the gearbox.
          He replaced it but as the original pattern was no longer available a modern equivilant was fitted which needed some modification of the mounting bracket.New drive belts were fitted and everything seemed to be fine with no more water under the gearbox.

          However, as you know Blue Days was not used for some time although the engine was run at regular intervals to keep it sweet and everything seemed to be OK.

          As the drive belts are wearing rapidly perhaps there is a problem with alignment due to the modified bracket?

          I am sorry but I can offer no suggestions with the fuel problem, but I do know that the fuel tank was cleaned in recent times together with a major overhaul of the engine itself.

          If the leak is the stern bearing, I understand that a flexible rubber tube is involved and there are a couple amongst the spares on board. I think you can get at it without removing the engine/gearbox.

          The cutlas bearing was replaced last year by the way, and yes, the prop shaft can be withdrawn into the boat but that does involve lifting of course.

          If you have any further questions, please contact me. I can (with his permission) put you in contact with the previous owner who was very helpful to me if you wish.

          Regards

          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8 3:55 AM
            --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "bluedays209" <bluedays209@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >

            > > I have just bought a Nicholson 35 it is Bluedays a 1983 boat from Dover and I sailed it up to Scotland alone on the way it shredded 5 fan belts. But my main problem at the moment is water is leaking from just in front of the gearbox very badly has anyone had this problem can I lift the boat out of the water and replace the stern gland or cutlass bearing at the prop end or will the engine have to be lifted out to get at the gear box end stern gland I don't know how this system works as I have had snuffing boxes on passed boats. has any one a drawing of the arrangement? My other problem is the engine starts but dies immediately the fuel filters are clean but the filter is only half full of diesel so I suspect the fuel pump, Is the Injector pump the fuel pump also. and may be this points to the belt shredding if the engine is starved of fuel? Thank you for any help given Gordon

            Hello John, Thanks for your reply yes it was a very bad trip no wind and had to use the engine at very low revs took me three weeks and Iv done it in five days in a benny before, the fan belts were shredding because they were to big and there was no more adjustment on the alt even after fileing the slot But in Southern Irland i got a smaller fan belt and it was ok after that, No leaks from the water pump its from the packing gland just in front of the gear box.Regards Gordon