RE: [campernicholson]rocna anchor

  • Katie and Simon
    Message 1 of 20 , May 30, 2011
      Hi Bill,

      The sizing chart on Rocna's  website shows that the Rocna 15 is good for an 11 metre boat of up to 7 Tonnes, which pretty much describes the Nic 35. Rocna's recommendations seem to be realistic, so this is probably adequate for general anchoring. Katie and I live on board for long periods and spend months at a time at anchor, so we tend to go for at least one size up. Hope this helps!

      Simon

      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      From: wbenjamin@...
      Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 23:19:54 -0400
      Subject: RE: [campernicholson]rocna anchor

      Dear Katie and Simon

      thanks for the reply and your advice on the Rocna anchor. Do you believe the rocna 20kg (44 lbs) is necessary as you suggest rather than the rocna 15 which is 33 lbs. We now use the CQR 35 which I believe is sufficient for the Penobscot, in Maine.
      look forward to read your suggestions.

      Bill
      William B. Benjamin M.D.

      From: wbenjamin@...
      Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 12:32:34 -0400

      hi graham
      this is off this topic but i have a question. I have a nic 35 number 219 that we have owned and sailed since 1985. Now that i am almost 78 i find it difficult to hoarse the CQR 35 bow anchor over the bow roller as the shank often gets wedged in the bow roller track. We have a nice Lewmar electric anchor winch on the foredeck so it is only the last part particularly if the flukes are loaded with mud and it is just too heavy for me. I heard that maybe the Rocna anchor fits better. Do you have any info?
      William B. Benjamin M.D.

      Message 2 of 20 , May 30, 2011
        Depco sells a Johnson pump that mounts on the end of the crankshaft.

        Graham

        On 05/29/2011 12:22 PM, Jean-F. Regnard wrote:

        Dear all,

        The jabsco water pump (#6490-132) that is fixed on my Piranha4 (Petter engine) has to be changed. Unfortunately Jabsco no longer makes them. Has any of you encountered that problem and could offer me some solution ?

        Jean-Francois REGNARD
         (Nic 35 #207 currently in  Bordeaux, FR)

        Skype ID : jf.regnard
        Ph : +33-613-176-149

        Message 3 of 20 , May 30, 2011
          Never used a Rocna, although my boss swears by his.  A Delta fits the Nic35 bow roller pretty well.

          Graham

          On 05/27/2011 12:32 PM, wbenjamin@... wrote:
          hi graham
          this is off this topic but i have a question. I have a nic 35 number 219 that we have owned and sailed since 1985. Now that i am almost 78 i find it difficult to hoarse the CQR 35 bow anchor over the bow roller as the shank often gets wedged in the bow roller track. We have a nice Lewmar electric anchor winch on the foredeck so it is only the last part particularly if the flukes are loaded with mud and it is just too heavy for me. I heard that maybe the Rocna anchor fits better. Do you have any info?
          William B. Benjamin M.D.

        • Thomas J. Stanton
          Message 4 of 20 , May 31, 2011
            Jean-Francois,

            I recently replaced mine and have seen them (in the same difficult to access configuration would, would you believe?) on the new vw marine engines.  Jabsco has changed the model #, attached is a link to a british site that has them.

            Tom Stanton
            Discovery
            C & N 40 ac
            Annapolis, MD

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 1, 2011
              I noticed that ROCNA seems to recommend about one-up on sizes at least. We have 75 # CQR but Rocna recommends 55 or 70 (kg) for our boat. Maybe that is part of how they get great results.
            • Brian Stannard
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 1, 2011
                Mark

                What boat do you have?

                --
                Brian
                Living aboard in Victoria
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 1, 2011
                  Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch; 55,000 disp; 72,000 # on the crane hook.
                • Brian Stannard
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 1, 2011
                    Mark

                    I read it as Rocna 55 for a 59' boat under 50 tons.

                    It is the first manufacturer's anchor guide I have seen that isn't a joke. I agree with Steve Dashew who says you should start by doubling what most manufacturers suggest and go up from there. Steve now uses a Rocna.