Re: [campernicholson] (unknown)

  • MARK HOENKE
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 17, 2011

    I had already replied to Peter but there seems to be more interest.  My advice.

    I recommend you consider laying down free boards such as these in my 58 Camper. You can see the cut-out for the Edson binnacle. It is all teak.  I added 1/8 inch X 1 X 3 plastic shims screwed to the edges with C-sunk flat heads so that the wood does not lay in water.  The open design is comfortable, drains well, - and so is not too slippery and does not encourage mold.  Loose, it is easy to remove for care and attention away from the boat. Large holes line up with the cockpit drains.  I used the usual UV inhibited varnish.  You could certainly oil.  Refinishing is easy – take it to a service with a dip tank and it will come back totally clean.

    I seem to recall seeing pre-made boards like this or perhaps a service that can make them to your measurements. Mine is about 1-3/4 thick at the solid boards.

    The other quick & easy is to put down Plasteak or Plasdeck  http://www.plasdeck.com  and never touch it again.  http://www.plasteak.com/osc