re:`upgrades'

  • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 1999
      I have question for you all.
      We are getting much more serious about installing cabin heat since out trip
      North last June. Last time we ran thru this decision tree we decided to get
      a Dickinson solid fuel heater. But, when the time came to cut that 7 1/2
      inch diameter hole in the cabin top we froze up!! So, that project is in
      boxes in the garage.
      Now we are looking at the Espar air heat model. Do any of you have
      experience with this type of heater? (Or any other type for that matter).
      We like the idea that we don't have to hang it on a salon bulkhead, and that
      we don't have to cut a great big hole anywhere.
      What do you think?

      Denece
    • John Larson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 1999
        DENECE AND BOB

        CUTTING A HOLE IN THE CABIN ROOF IS NO PROBLEM. WE DID IT TO INSTALL A
        HATCH OVER THE MAIN CABIN. THE ONLY THING THAT MUST BE DONE IS THE BALSA
        CORE MUST BE REMOVED ABOUT ONE INCH IN AND REPLACED WITH EPOXY MIXED WITH
        FILLER. IF YOU WANT MORE INFO, JUST ASK.

        MY EXPERIENCE WITH AN ESPAR HEATER IS THAT WHEN IT WORKS IT'S GREAT, BUT,
        MUCH LIKE THE GAS HEATERS IN OLD VOLKSWAGENS, THEY CAN BE TEMPERMENTAL.

        IN PASSPORT, OUR CN 35, WE HAVE A CHARCOAL HEATER WHICH CAME WITH THE BOAT.
        IT WORKS VERY WELL, THOUGH IS SLOW TO START.

        JOHN AND SANDY