Nic35 sailing/buying query

  • divonic
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2011
      Hello Nic35 Owners

      Would anyone be prepared to take us out for a day sail, so we can experience a Nic35?! We live in London, so it needs to be in the UK and preferably the southern half! Although perhaps it's a cheeky question, let us explain ...

      We are moving up from Thames estuary sailing in our Jaguar 25, to a boat suitable for offshore passage-making. Our research suggests a Nic35 will be ideal in terms of big enough to spend weeks on board, small enough to be handled by experienced husband & wife team, tough enough to go anywhere.

      The challenge is that we don't know how a Nic35 handles, how it feels on & off the wind. The few boats available are either on the hard and/or in another country without owners nearby, so a trial sail is impractical. It's a lot of money to spend on the basis of magazine reviews and forum discussions.

      If anyone is able to help us out, hopefully towards becoming part of the Nic35 'family', we'd be delighted to hear from you. We'd be happy to buy your Nic35 a small present in return.

      While we're here, two other questions:
      - any particular things to look out for when buying a Nic35?
      - anyone thinking of selling yours in the next year?!

      Thanks everyone :-)

      rgds/Nic & Lesley
      NIC VINE
      077 3049 6597
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicvine
    • MarkH
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2011
        I hope you are able to find someone to help you on this. If not, I suggest you can't go wrong with a Camper & Nicholson anything. If you are interested in stately and classic, this is it. We have the big brother (58 ketch) to the 35. I raced a Heritage One Ton and many other 35-40 boats and I am amazed at the performance and manners of the Camper. my cousin sailed his 58 once around and loved it. I had low expectations comming from racing but the boat continues to amaze on pointing ability, comfort and speed.
      • J-G Nadeau
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2011

        Hear, hear! We are in Gosling, a C&N 42, sailing the west coast of Mexico. We don’t see many Nics here but came across a 35 last year. Lovely to see our little sister. Gosling has just been reborn with her original colour scheme this past year. See the photos attached. What year is your 58 and do you have any photos?

        J-G Nadeau

        SV Gosling

        Barra de Navidad, Mexico

        Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2011
          Our camper 58 is a ketch - cutter rig 1984. Photos in my albums ROXY. I also just created an album of the original sales brocure we found on the boat. NICHOLSON 58 sales brochure. Love the photos of three together.
        • simon allard
          Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
            Nic, Lesley.

            Our leader here in the UK is Colin Campbell Dunlop, he is the Secretary of the Nicholson 35 Owners Club here in UK having taken it some some years back now.

            He would certainly be worth contacting given your location...

            Here are his details-

            Colin Campbell-Dunlop
            Azure Consulting
            68 King William Street
            London EC4N 7DZ
            +44 20 7193 4232
            www.azure-consulting.com

            Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
              Hello Nic & Lesley,

              Thanks for your email. Our Nic 35, Gin Rummy, will be going up for sale later this year. Unfortunately we can't offer you a trial sail at this stage as the boat is on the hard in Greece at the moment, but I thought it would be worth making contact in case you decide to go ahead.

              I'm sure everyone you talk to will rave about the Nic 35, and we are no exceptions. In the last 12 years of ownership we've lived on board for about 50% of the time, cruising in the Med and the Caribbean. She's taken great care of us, is comfortable and easy to handle for a couple, and she gets a lot of compliments.

              Rather than repeat many of her fine features which you'll hear from others, I thought I'd mention a few things to look out for. It's also worth searching back through some of the posts on the discussion group to see which topics generate most energy.

              • I think 228 Nic 35's were built, and the design evolved throughout. Early boats had smaller rudders, some of which have now been modified. The original propeller shaft exited near the top of the keel, driven from the engine a by hydraulic pump; later boats had a V-drive gearbox and the shaft supported by a P-bracket. The accommodation layout changed from an aft-facing chart table and pilot berths in the saloon, to a forward-facing chart table and wider seats in the saloon with lockers behind. Early boats had a chain pipe in the forecabin, later that was moved to the chain locker. There were several changes in rig, with the mast tending to get taller in later boats. And many more detail changes.
              • There were a number of engine options in the Nic 35, and many have now been re-engined. As most of these boats are now over 30 years old, you'd be wise to check this out carefully.
              • Some early boats have experienced problems in areas of the deck where aluminium backing plates were embedded in the core, and later corroded. I'm not sure how widespread this problem has been, but worth checking.
              • Nic 35s are not immune to osmosis. We bought ours with some blisters (which we had professionally checked out prior to purchase), planning to deal with the problem at some later stage. Eventually we had the hull peeled and epoxied in 2005, a repair we're very happy with. But definitely something you should check.

              We're very enthusiastic about our Nic 35, so you might wonder why we're selling! We just want more space. We live aboard for many months at a time, and often have guests and family members to stay. Having a second couple on board means they are sleeping in the saloon - perfectly comfortable but a bit of a chore. Katie also wanted a bigger galley, if possible. Last summer we had the opportunity of a good deal on one of our short-list boats, so we took it. So now we have a 40-footer, and two sets of bills!

              Here's a link to some pics of Gin Rummy. These are not sales pics, just a random selection from our albums, so not very professional I'm afraid!

              http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=231225&id=709545638&l=1f79ae16df

              Let us know if you do decide to go ahead. If you send me your personal email I can send you some more details. Our email is: katieandsimon(at)hotmail.com

              Hope this helps! Have fun with your search.

              Katie and Simon
              Gin Rummy, CN35-202

              To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

              Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
                Wow thanks alot the pictures are great. We always marvel at the stories about this yacht. From a wee sister of the fleet Whakarra CN 30 G/S Noble on the west coast of Canada.

                Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
                  Hi J-G Nadeau....great sailing pic G/S Noble S/V Whakarra